1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Some Help Responding To Some Stuff

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GayPugs, Sep 23, 2016.

1. GayPugs

Ok...so...my family...my parents are amazing and accepting people but they, being cis straight people, have their ignorances. I just need some help responding to some stuff....so, it's basically like a Q & A, I say what my parents said, I say my response, and then you say your response. Sound good? (By the way, these are all real.) Here we go:

Q: How does it feel to be a boy?
    My A: How does it feel to be a girl?

Q: Do you hate the female gender?
    My A: No, I just hate being the female gender.

Q: Why do you hate your name?
    My A: I don't hate it. It just doesn't fit me.

Q: But last year you said you were a lesbian?
    My A: Well, the year before that I said I was straight.

Q: But I've never really thought about my gender. Why do you?
    My A: If you are happy with your gender, you don't think about it. If you aren't happy with your gender, you do.

Q: Why do you want to be a boy?
    My A: I don't. But I am a boy.

Q (Note: this was in response to me wanting to get a t-shirt that says "transgender and proud"): What if you aren't transgender a year from now?
    My A: I can get a shirt that says: "My favorite color is blue" and that doesn't mean that a year from now my favorite color will be blue but it doesn't really matter cuz the shirt is still cool when my favorite color IS blue.

I'm not sure if these responses are really...right. What would you respond with?

2. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think your answers are fine, but you will need to elaborate and be careful with your tone. Introducing words like "hate" is not advised, even if it's how you really feel.

Some of your answers are quite clipped, and appear rather challenging as I read them, so how can you expand on your answers to soften the impact? I'm not being critical, but a short answer to (for your parents) a big question will leave a lot of room for doubt and may even lead to further questioning. Try to provide more detail and be gentle with your parents. It's important to understand that they are without any knowledge of trans issues and need your help.

It might be a good idea to source some information and support material for parents of trans children. Leaflets, books etc. will be useful and may address many of their questions in a structured and coherent way. Have a think about it and let us know how it goes. :slight_smile:

3. GayPugs

Thank you! =D I'll try all of that!

4. Bubbletea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You could also ask them to think their questions through first and try answering them as you to see if it is appropriate or not.

I for one cannot be triggered quicker then when asked these kind of questions lol so it might be a good idea.