1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regretting my decision

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wilson00, Sep 25, 2016.

1. wilson00

Hey everyone, i'm new to this site and to forum based sites in general so don't totally know how this works, i just feel like i need to get this off my chest and hopefully get some advice. I'm not out to people at my school so have gone to the internet to find it. I'm 21, and a senior in college, and within the past year realized i had been ignoring the fact i am gay for a long time. I came out to myself, and then one friend who has since been pretty awkward about it, but have struggled to tell anyone else. My family is super religious, though not explicitly homphobic so at least there is that. I'm just not really ready yet to be viewed differently by them. I have written tons of versions of letters to my best friend, and to my youngest sister since i believe she will have a positive reaction. Today, I finally got the courage to put the letter to my sister in the mailbox, but now I am feeling like maybe it was too soon, or not right of me to ask my 18 year old sister not to tell the rest of my family. I know its probably pretty normal to feel anxious about her response, but do you think it was wrong of me to put that pressure on her? Should i just tell her to throw it away when she gets it? I want someone else to know, because i feel very lonely, but i'm still afraid of what comes after this

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Putting that letter in the mail was very brave, and we are so proud of you for doing it. Coming out takes incredible courage. It is normal for you to feel conflicted now, but do realize that your "regret" as you put it is simply your closeted thinking trying to keep you well hidden. It will be ok and I think you will be glad you did it after she reads it.

Good luck and stay proud!

3. BenFreeman

What comes after this is that you get to be you.
    If her reaction isn't what you hope for, remember that that is her issue not yours.
    You told somebody. That means you are prepared to be real out there. That's huge. The response you get is actually secondary.
    Well done.
    :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

4. Linkmaste

I think you did an amazing and couragous thing. Above all else you did this for yourself. I know it's scary but you're doing an amazing job. I think your sister will be understanding and not say a word to the family.