1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to my small group(concerns)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ECMember, Sep 25, 2016.

1. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm in this Christian org on campus called Chi Alpha(not sure if anyone here has been a part of it or a part of it now).

I joined Chi Alpha in response to a depression I was feeling over a variety of things due to my family issues(I'll get to in a diff thread), my loss of my close friendships with Edmond(someone I've talked about a bit in the Spring), wanting to be sober and experiencing a new start in college. So all these things were on my mind when I walked into my first Chi Alpha meeting. My first Chi Alpha "church service" on campus, I'm immediately welcomed with open arms. This White dude named Jakob seemed nice enough to introduce himself and sit with me during my first service with Chi Alpha. We exchanged numbers and chatted. I was going to be in his small group but our schedules didn't work out, so I'm with his other friend/roommate's small group.

But anyway, I'm a part of Chi Alpha. But lately I've been having some "anxiety" over it.
    1 I don't know Chi Alpha's stance on LGBT. The pastor affirms that "the Bible is God's words.......truthful..."
    2. There is a guy whom I had a brief sexual encounter with this past spring, at a Chi Alpha church service. And to add to this, he's friends with Jakob. It's a really odd coincidence. I mean if he and I would see each other before the service, it would be a little odd and embarrassing for me. I mean, I don't know if this guy pointed me out to Jakob and outed me to him. I don't know. Then again, if that guy did that, he would be outing himself.

3. Should I come out to my small group and to people in Chi Alpha? If the guy that I had a "hook up" is in Chi Alpha, maybe I should just come out. But I have no idea if coming out would be the best idea or the worst idea. I mean these people aren't Westboro bible extremists but I don't know their views on LGBT. Nothing has been referred by the pastor in the pulpit about that view. I mean coming out would be a good thing or bad thing. I could lose my small group friends I've met.

I feel like only coming out, in the event Jakob finds out from that guy about my sexual orientation. Other than that, I feel like just being in the closet and not talk about my bi sexuality to these guys, because I'm afraid they could be homophobic or biphobic or not want to be friends with me.

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    scorpiontx91,

I'm not familiar with Chi Alpha's stance on LGBTQ issues, but in a quick check online I found this recommended reading list for their Staff:

Recommended Reading | Staff

Looking at the books they recommend on Homosexuality, they appear to have a "Pray the Gay Away" philosophy - not one of acceptance.

Now, I don't know if different chapters have different policies, but it looks like the 'head office' has this point of view.

I'd strongly recommend that you do more discrete research on your Chapter's LGBTQ policies/stances before Coming Out to them - if you want to remain with the group. Given your description of events, it's possible that there are several LGBTQ members in your Chapter, but that they keep their orientation quiet.

Just some thoughts.

I don't know if this helps you.

Take care. Stay strong and proud!:slight_smile:

---------- Post added 25th Sep 2016 at 11:31 PM ----------

scorpiontx91,

I'm not personally familiar with Chi Alpha's stance on LGBTQ issues, but in a quick check online I found this recommended reading list for their Staff:

Recommended Reading | Staff

Looking at the books they recommend on Homosexuality, they appear to have a "Pray the Gay Away" philosophy - not one of acceptance. Now, I don't know if different chapters have different policies, but it looks like the 'head office' has this point of view.

Also, I found these indicators that are consistent with that stance:

CONNECTION Chi Alpha, Spring 2011

Cornell University Clears Chi Alpha

I'd strongly recommend that you do more discrete research on your Chapter's LGBTQ policies/stances before Coming Out to them - if you want to remain with the group and not potentially face pressure to 'deal with' your homosexuality. Given your description of events, it's possible that there are several LGBTQ members in your Chapter, but that they keep their orientation quiet.

Just some thoughts.

I don't know if this helps you.

Take care. Stay strong and proud!:slight_smile:

3. Wolfwing

I'd recommend not coming out to them because the staff recommended reading list isn't very gay friendly.
    Some of the books include:
    ·Homosexuality and the Politics of Truth by Dr. Jeffrey Satinover

·Healing Homosexuality: Case Stories by Joseph Nicolosi and Jason Aronson
    ·Counseling and Homosexuality by Dr. Earl Wilson
    ·A Parents Guide to Preventing Homosexuality by Dr. Joe Nicolosi and Linda Nicolosi
    ·Someone I Love Is Gay by Anita Worthen and Bob Davies

·Coming Out of Homosexuality by Bob Davies and Lori Rentzel 

·You Don’t Have to be Gay by Jeff Konrad
    (Sarcastically) As you can see here, their reading list includes a good selection of lgbt friendly books.

4. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just food for thought--

If you think that your chapter agrees with the "head office" and is anti-gay, you may need to consider whether you can continue to be a part of this group. You would need to stay closeted with them, and any members that become part of your friend circle, and that means being closeted in general.

If you don't want to ALWAYS be closeted with them, then perhaps coming out to them now solves the question - either way. Either they accept you or they don't.

If you want to be with this group no matter what, then you should stay closeted with them.

I don't envy this choice for you. I would respect any choice you make, as it seems this group has helped you in other areas of your life. I do agree that this issue is a very difficult one.

Take care.

5. ABeautifulMind

Being that you are not only talking about a christian organization but one in south Texas, the bible belt core lol... I would not come out to them if you want to stay with them... Im not saying they would all reject you, but I doubt the reception would be friendly enough for you to want to continue going and dealing with it...

I feel for you being in Tx lol, its pretty shitty here sometimes... I hope you figure out what you want, and that it works out for you :wink: