1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried about coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wolfwing, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Wolfwing

I'm planning on coming out to my dad and stepmom though I'm feeling a bit worried about it. I'm feeling worried because they aren't religious extremists but they aren't the most accepting of lgbt people either. For example, I don't think they support gay marriage. So, I'm worried that when I come out, they might not be supportive. Also, I feel like it might mess up the relationship I have with them and I'm still dependent on them. Though, I was thinking of finding a way to get their opinions on gay people before I come out. The only problem is I'm worried that I might accidentally out myself in doing this and I don't want to come out until I know for sure I'm ready. Any advice?

2. Cinis

Cinis Guest

If you are extremely nervous about slipping up you could plan for asking their opinions and coming out directly afterwards. Or maybe just do it in a way that does not necessarily involve any talking on your part like letting a news story on the topic lie around and wait for the reaction or something.
    Either way try to calm down a bit. Don't paint the devil on the wall before you have actually tried it or you'll get needlessly nervous (well...you will probably be more nervous than ever before in your life anyway. I mean I was more nervous than ever before and didn't dare leaving my bed for 2 days after and I knew my parents are extremely accepting...so scratch that last sentence). Just remember that your parents are your parents either way and that they will love you as their son regardless. I know some people don't have it in them to stand with their children but most do...try to remember that and believe in the bond you share with them. (ok I admit that sounded very sappy)