1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Younger Siblings

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Stuie, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Stuie

Well you see I have my little brother who is four and a half years younger than me. He's particularly homophobic already and I really feel like I can't fully be out without him knowing. He's in that age of typical preteen awfulness where you can't see anyone other than yourself and makes lots of disparaging comments towards me and gays in general. He's an important part of my life whether I like it or not and I'm going to have to deal with him some stage probably on the next three months as I plan to be out to my exchange student depending on a few things.
    Any advice on what other people have told or done with their younger siblings would be much appreciated.

2. Alex19

your bro is probably just gonna be a typical pre-teen. he might say things, but in the end the only thing he cares about are his raging horomones. as for my younger siblings, my sister took it well- hell she didnt care. and your bro might not take it as bad as u think when u eventually tell him. but he is young, so he may not understand too well. tell him when u feel ready and when u think hes ready to take it.

3. Just Adam

from what i remember of that age ( feels old now) its just hormones and ignorance all he really knows of gay people is class gossip and stereotypes i think if you came out to him he might be a bit shocked but will realise if his big bros gay and your not weird then what hes heard is wrong and itll change his views its better to tell him sooner than later before these negative feelings settle in him

good luck x

4. riddlerno1

As far as i remember at that age, you're pretty much living for the moment but remember everyone can change their opinions with knowledge. I guess its up to you to show him that being gay is not a wrong or bad thing. Good thing is he is still young and forming his opinions so maybe best to tell him earlier but only if u want to and are ready for him to know.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, yes. Those years where you know absolutely everything. (There's another one coming around the age 24, by the way.) Sucks, but there it is. Luckily, my sister was already midway through high school when I told her, and she thought it was really cool by that point.

Not much you CAN do except enlist the help of your parents. And do NOT let any of his comments get to you. Imagine the comments coming from a two-year-old - that tends to help. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. Thisisnew

Well he is young so maybe when he finds out he will be growing up knowing your gay and will understand.

7. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

If you're sixteen and he's four and a half years younger than you then he is twelve and a half. He is twelve, and homophobia can wear off through out the years. He probably knows absolutely nothing realistic about homosexuals aside from stereotypes. That is the perfect age to teach someone how wrong homophobia is. You're given a golden opportunity.

8. cromig

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    t5his totally just rememined me that i cant remember if i mentioned that i told my brother. hes really chill about it. he is 15 so its kjinda like diffrent