1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Normalguy, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Normalguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey everyone,

So I have been thinking about ways to come out to my family and friends and I have some ideas but I know if won't go as planned. My parents are actually not who I am worried about...a little about my dad, but I think they will understand for the most part. But the thing is, is I have a twin sister and she's always been really close to me. I know she will have trouble with it. Is there a way to tell her that she won't get angry or upset?? Cause then I'll get angry and upset...and it won't go well. :confused:

My uncle is gay (although he lives FAR away!) but I was thinking I might tell him first and ask his opinion. Then I can try to tell my sister before my parents so she can kind of help me through telling the parents. Especially since I have never been the most courageous when standing up for myself.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions! :icon_bigg

2. Pendrin2020

The coming out section has some great examples of letters and stories to give you ideas.

If there is one thing i've learned it's that I have absolutely no control over other peoples reactions. I can tell them in the fairest way possible, and that's as much as I can do. How they react is completely up to them.

3. biisme

Why do you think your sister will have trouble with it? If you can figure out specifically why she might have a problem, then you can be ready when she asks certain questions.

I also think telling your uncle first would be a good way to ease into telling people, and you also know that he will accept you for who you are.

4. pokeypanda

Talking to your uncle first sounds like a good plan.

Since you and your sister are really close hopefully she will understand and help you through this. :slight_smile:

GOOD LUCK!!

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're worried that you'll end up getting angry or defensive and saying something you'll regret, I'd suggest writing a letter. It might seem less personal than coming out face-to-face, but it doesn't have to be that way - it can be as personal as you choose, and it means you can perfect what you want to say and not worry about missing out on something or getting carried away in the heat of the moment.

6. littleninja

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think connecting with your uncle is a really good idea. He might have advice, but more importantly he'll give support.

I'm also a fan of letters, which is what I did. It ensured that I couldn't chicken out (after the letter was in the mailbox) and we couldn't argue about it. Since I live far away, I had the added bonus of not having to answer the phone until I felt ready to do so.

7. Normalguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, thanks for all the help! I like the idea of a letter too maybe for my sister. I don't know...she's always been completely opposite to me in so many ways which is why I think we get along. She's more social, always been more popular...all that stuff. But I have tried to breach the subject in the past with her and chickened out. I just have a feeling that she would try to understand, but probably have a hard time accepting it just becasue of who she is, which is not like me.
    But at this point, I'm just going to tell her. It's been too long now..! I just have to work up the courage to do it...or maybe send a letter.

8. EM68

I am a twin. I have a brother. He is the one that I am the most nervous in coming out to. I plan to come out to him this weekend. I just want to live my life.

Good luck!

9. DexterMorgan

Telling your uncle sounds like a good idea.