1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on coming out to a roomate?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jonah 4, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm kind of at loss for words on how exactly to come out to my roomate. I'm going to get outed to him by a friend tommorow regardless. And I guess since he's pretty much the only person that doesn't know that's not on my hall(heck even a few of them know) but I'm not sure what to say. Any advice?

2. Sexiross

Sexiross Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Take a deep breath .... and say it short ...sweet and to the point. After you say it....if its too much for u to wait for his response... leave the room..... let him come to you.

3. casjerem

casjerem Guest

just say it. better to get it over with and then talk about it if needed. one. he's going to be coo with it. two. he might be iffy about it but won't care as long as you don't creep him out. and three, which might be trouble, he could have a problem with it which is going to cause tension living with each other. if the third happens, you just need to have a serious talk because it's not going to help that you two live together and can't even get over this minor detail. if in the end you can't resolve it with him, you can always get another roommate who is understanding.

4. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the advice - I'm still going to try verbally in the morning. But he was feeling sick and went to bed...and well I just couldn't get the words.(I've learned by now though, the people I'm closest too are always the hardest to tell). So yeah, I'm pretty frustrated with myself. I mean we even watched Milk with a few others tonight. But so for now, I'm writing him a facebook message and then trying again in the morning. Otherwise, he'll find out through someone else, and so I figure this is the only guaranteed way that he'll find out from me first. On the off chance he really has an issue with it, it would be difficult to find another roommate. I go to a relatively conservative Christian college that doesn't permitt 'homosexual behavior'(I can be gay I just can't go around holding a guy's hand) so while I do have a supportive group of friends I don't have anyone whom is w/o a roommate and reaching out between now and the deadline(in a few weeks) would be difficult. It's not like I can just create a facebook group saying "hey gay guy looking for roomate" Wouldn't make the administration(who monitors facebook) too happy.

5. Greggers

Hmm, definitely get to him before your friend does. Being outed by friends sucks (ugh...)

You can always pen it down on paper or print it out and then give it to him to read, if your not good at confronting him. But in my mind, your in a good spot :slight_smile: You KNOW you have to come out to him before your friend, and thats a good little push to prevent you from backing down. You know what will happen if you dont, so just go for it!

6. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Be nonchalant about it. "you'll find out one way or the other. I'm gay...."

Or, you can let you friend out you. If confronted, react surprised, but in a different way. Be surprised he didn't know. Perhaps say "Umm, yeah. I thought you knew."

7. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Haha...I like the second idea...but it wouldn't work too well for him - just because we are so close and he knows so much about me. That said, if my other roommate finds out I could tell him that.(He's not coming back next semester). Anyways, thanks for the advice. (*hug*)

8. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So update: He responded extremely well(even better than I would of hoped) and yeah everythings just great.

9. Alex19

hey, kudos! big relief, right?

10. Just Adam

glad to hear :grin:

11. BasketCase

Excellent to hear that:slight_smile:

12. Mickey

Good for you. I bet you feel so much better.

13. casjerem

casjerem Guest

gratz cool that he took it well.

14. who am I

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    well done I bet its a relief