1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have DLE...FML.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mestiz0, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Mestiz0

Hey everyone :icon_redf

So, basically I have no one I can really talk to about this. I just don't think anyone would be able to understand what I am going through.

I was diagnosed with Discoid Lupus Erythematosus (DLE) my junior year of high school. I am now a sophomore in college and DLE is really starting to affect me. I just don't understand why I have to be diagnosed with it! It's a disease that tends to be genetic and also affect WOMEN. Well not one person in my family has had this, and ummm *looks between legs* I am definitely not a woman.

But basically THIS SITE explains the disease. I have rashes/lesions/inflammations...whatever you want to call them, on my head. One under my right eye (somewhat faded) and then one encircling each ear. After reading the description provided by the site I posted, you should know that this disease has the possibility of causing hair loss...well, unfortunately for me, not only did I get the disease but I am now suffering from the hair loss.

Most people with this disease are indeed women and are in their 30s-40s....So it's not AS big of a deal I assume. But this should be the prime time of my life. I am in college, and already going through a tough time with being gay, and now I need to add this on to it! And we all know how people tend to judge a book by it's cover...no need to hide it.

Well look at me! (I will attach pictures below) This lupus is not gonna score me any points in the dating book...I feel really shallow talking about this like that.

I am really depressed, on my spring break, practically afraid to just go out in public. I had to make up an excuse earlier today as to why I couldn't go to my friend of 18 years' house...because I was too afraid of what his family might think of my looks. I can't even go to my own grandparents' house!!! I am depressed as all hell and don't really know what to do...

I don't really know what I am expecting of you guys, but like I said, I just can't really talk to anyone about this here...I can, but no one seems to want to listen. :icon_sad:

Basically, that's the most of it...I'm sort of drawing a blank because...well I am depressed as all hell right now..I am sure I can write more soon though. I have allll Spring Break to think about it.

So pictures of my lesions around my ears are shown below, taken JUST NOW. And my avatar was taken just about 10 minutes ago, for those who just want to see my face..

I really just don't know what to do...or what to think...I think I just need a hug...some friends. Because I am back home for Spring Break in ORANGE COUNTY of all places, where appearance is definitely key...and I don't really have any friends here.

PS
    When I am not on break, I am a full time student at UC Santa Cruz, 6 hours north of Orange County.

Attached Files:

2. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Basically your situation totally sucks. I mean, there's no way around the suckitude of it. Your hair is falling out and you have all these lame lesions. Super uncool. There isn't any good reason for you to have this disease. You totally got the short end of the good genetics straw.

However, I think you can OWN it. Just taking a good look at your head, I can already tell you that your headshape is superb. Why not just ditch the do and go for a more summer friendly complete baldness? Shave it all off!

And as for your lesions, I don't know if they are painful or how affective treatment can be on them. If you can't do anything about them, just make it a running joke. I suggest coming up with awesome stories about how you got them if you catch someone staring.

"Oh these? I got these from fighting off a bear."

"I see you noticed my breakouts. I'm allergic to staring."

I had a friend with a huge birthmark on her face and whenever she saw someone staring, she would say she was half werewolf.

As for the friends situation, why don't you try joining some campus groups? Explore your interests and you are bound to meet people who aren't assholes.

What I'm trying to say is you have the choice whether you let this disease keep you cooped up or if you punch DFE in the face. I vote for the punching.

3. djt820

Knowing the medical advancements today, theres got to be SOME sort of treatment for the breakouts. I, to a certain extent, understand what youre going through. I have a big acne problem. It used to get me down ALL the time. Heres these fucking bubbles on my face. GAH! Then, I just realized that looks arent the key to happiness and finding love. Sure, theres assholes who will say shit but fuck them. They have no relevance. Shaving the head might be a good idea too but do what you please. I just looked at your avatar and I gotta say, you're pretty cute:icon_redf

4. Mestiz0

Thanks for the advice Num :slight_smile: I really really would like to follow what I have quoted above, but UC Santa Cruz isn't really a college that has well established groups. I would LOVE to be on the Tennis Team, but I am simply not good enough. The GLBT group there is a joke. I thought it would have all sorts of gay guys, but it's only full of the most fem guys (no offense to fem guys) who are OBVIOUSLY gay and feel the need to tell everyone they are gay all the time. They are probably the most shallow and egotistical guys I have ever met.

I was up for joining a fraternity, but the frats at UCSC are not so well established either. Santa Cruz being the "hippiest" UC of them all, does not want to build housing for frats and sororities. Thus the whole greek system is kind of fucked and definitely not really worth the money.

I just wished I would have been able to get into another "actual" UC like Santa Barbara or Los Angeles...sadly, I wasn't. So I am stuck at UCSC.

5. Mestiz0

Thanks djt :slight_smile: I don't think shaving my head would be a possibility though...well of course it is a possibility but the back of my head is not so "well shaped" I am not sure why, it just doesn't feel smooth and I would not want to show that off to people haha.

Also thanks for the compliment :slight_smile: It really means a lot.

6. Greggers

Well, i dont know what to say really. I know it sucks, i am so stranger to having a truck-load of horrible medical crap going on with me, just none of mine show on the outside...

...but dont fear on the dating thing. Hair is actually the BEST thing to have a problem with. Clip it all off, stick on a wig :slight_smile: By wig i mean like a hand-crafted real hair fitted wig that does not look fake. They can be pricey for a good one though, but worth it im sure. Britney sported the wig and everyone still loved her! Well, ok, i still loved her...

7. Mestiz0

Haha, Greggers, I love that you incorporated Britney into this :eusa_danc

But the fact of the matter is, she was pretty famous BEFORE shaving her head. Like I said I don't really have many friends/admirers (meaning before my Lupus I didn't really have any) and now I'm sure it's going to be twice as hard just to make those friends...

Britney, HAD the admirers and fans prior to her hair dilemma, and they stuck with her, and sure she lost some along the way, but she had plenty to pick up the slack.

Do you kind of see what I am saying?

8. Greggers

Mm, yes, i do. But look at The hunchback of Notradame! He was SO much more nasty and he still gets the girl! (or does he die? crap...i forget...)

Not EVERYONE is so obsessed with how perfect you look, and trust me on this one. I have fallen for maaaany a guy who was not the hollwood type of man. When someone is true, honest, and pure of heart that gives off a glow that can make him or her more beautiful than anyone else. Whats inside, and i know this will sound fake cheesy cliche and all the rest, is really worth more than the outside. The outside, in my opinion and the opinion of others, is really just a cheery on top. Its something that can be worked on too, so it does not take my priority. Makeup, surgery, wigs, working out, diet, blah blah blah the world is full of ways to make your outside match the inside. However, there is really nothing you can do about masking what your inside is like. And you REALLY seem like a great person, so in my eyes you are set for life.

9. Grantious

BRITNEY!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    :-( , i feel for u *hugz*
    u'll b ok :slight_smile:
    xo.

10. Mestiz0

Thanks for the hug dude!! :slight_smile:
    I hope I'll be okay.
    It just really gets me depressed, knowing that I COULD be better, but yet I somehow ended up with this disease. :tears:

11. otc877

otc877 Guest

Sorry to hear about this.

Are there any treatments for it? Will the hair grow back?

I know what you mean about living in Orange County though, the people here are very shallow.

If it's any consolation, you look fine in your avatar :slight_smile:

Hope you feel better, and don't let this ruin your spring break, put a hat on and have fun. :grin:

12. Mestiz0

Right now, I believe there is no known cure for Lupus...or maybe it's no known CAUSE haha. But it's one of those. My doctor has me on this topical steroid (cream) that I just apply onto the scars and hopefully that makes them go away?? If not, I think she will just up the potency of the steroid. I don't think the hair will grow back where it is already lost...but the hair can grow around it and cover it up if I let it get longer...I just really am a fan of having short hair...I think (or thought) it looks/ed better on me :frowning2:

But yeah, I think I will look into buying some more hats to hide the loss for now, and just have some fun! I don't know anyone gay in OC...soo I am thinking of maybe checkin out one of the gay clubs while I am down here. :thumbsup: (Tiger Heat?)

Are you from Orange county otc??

13. otc877

otc877 Guest

I'm on the border of orange county. A few of my friends have been to tiger heat, but I've never gone. I've only been to club savilla (avenue).

14. Mestiz0

Nice dude!
    Yeah I just found out about Tiger Heat today when I was googling OC Gay Clubs haha.
    What's Savilla about? Did you like it? Can you maybe PM me more about it? (*hug*)

15. otc877

otc877 Guest

Haha, googling gay clubs. The only other gay club I know of around here is club oasis, which yet again I havn't been, but a few of my friends have :frowning2:

Avenue was fun, a lot of scene people but it's good times. I have fun at any club though really :grin:

Sadly, I can't PM you, you have to become a full member before you have access to PM. I think you have to apply for it though.

16. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely agree with Numfarh about finding ways to own the condition. I have a serious balance problem and walk with a cane, which means I've had approximately 485780643 people ask why in the two and a half years I've been using it. If I just say "I have a balance problem", people will tend to get into "why" and that sort of thing, and the conversation ends up all about my health issues. When I answer "it's actually where I conceal my shotgun", at least I can make the person laugh, and think "this person has a weird sense of humour", which is better than "this person has an illness".

17. Jim1454

(*hug*)

I know it's hard, but:

Accept the things you can not change.
    Find the courage to change the things you can change.
    Develop the ability to know which is which.

You can't change the fact that you have Lupus - as unfair and crappy as that might be. So accept it. You'll feel better for doing it.

What can you change? Your haircut. Wearing a hat. Using the medication prescribed. Getting out and doing things ANYWAYS!

I know you'd like to be better looking in the eyes of others. But we all would. I look at myself in the mirror and think "Gosh - I really am pretty much bald on the top of my head. That sucks." But I don't let it get me down. I think about what I might want to do about it, and the reality is I am not THAT upset about it to do anything. My bf still says I look good, and I choose to believe him. I wear hats in the summer so I don't burn my scalp. And when the time comes, I guess I'll go with the 'buzzed' look.

It's up to you to make the best of what you've got. It sounds like things - overall - aren't too bad. You live in sunny California, you're bright enough and fortunate enough to attend university. You're gay (and we all know how that 'kicks ass', right? :icon_wink). But even when things appear OK, it's OK to be down about stuff too. You're entitled. Just don't let it get the best of you.

PM me (as a moderator) if you want to chat privately about this stuff...

18. Fiorino

I'm sorry to hear about that-

I had some ideas while reading this thread:

-First of all, don't let it get you down. That would be letting the disease win,
    and we can't have that! Try to remain happy and self-confident (might take time).
    Learn to love yourself the way you are and don't worry about what other people
    may think.

-Second of all, on a more superficial level, is the hair loss only in certain areas?
    If so, you could grow your hair out, that might hide the places where the is hair loss.
    I was thinking how some people with giant birthmarks put makeup on, but maybe
    that would interfere with medication?

Hope I helped
    (*hug*)

19. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

20. Mestiz0

Just going to bump this since some guys keep askin what my Lupus is when I talk about it haha.