1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell my parents???

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TayReb, Oct 3, 2016.

?

Should I tell my parents I'm Genderfluid?

Poll closed Oct 10, 2016.
  1. Yes

90.9%
  2. No

9.1%
  1. TayReb

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So, my mom already knows im Bisexual, don't know if my dad does, but should I come out about being genderfluid? only my close friends know, and they're already used to calling me a girl most days. That's great, but ive been really dysphoric around the house because i cant present as a girl. should i tell my parents so that i might be able to dress in appropriate attire according to how i feel that day?:help:

2. Linkmaste

I say yes but there are some factors to think about.

Are you in a safe environment to come out in?

Do you have a place to stay if your parents get upset? Most cases they cool down eventually and the shock wears off but just for them to have some space.

Having a relationship with your rents where you're hiding this part of you can be damaging to both youreself and the relationship. Always feels good to come out and express who you are.

3. TayReb

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks!

4. PurpleAndBlack

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are definitely ups to talking to your parents about your genderfluidity, but I think that there are more factors to take in (just like the other poster said!). Here are a few questions to consider:

- how did your mother react to you being bisexual?
    - why have you not talked to your dad about it?
    - do you know how your parents view LGBT+ people?
    - maybe specifically, do you know how your mother views those who are not cis-gender?

If you think that you can trust your mother, it might be good that you talk to her about your genderfluidity first, and then the two of you can talk to your dad about it (or, if you would rather her explain it on your behalf, that can happen as well) together. It helps a lot of people to already have an ally when they're coming out to someone, and I think it could help you as well! ^^

5. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you need to ask us, I'd say you're not ready. You should only come out when you feel you want to, even need to. What we think is kind of irrelevant because we don't know you or your parents. I think you will know when you are ready.

6. TayReb

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    In response to PurpleAndBlack: My mom was fine with it, My dad works late so i never got the right timing, I have had casual conversations with both my parents on LGBT subjects and they seem okay with it, and no i don't know how my mom views non gender conforming people

In response to Imgay47 (love that name btw): That is a good point, thank you for your opinion

#6 TayReb, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  7. TayReb

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well, it doesn't matter now. My mom took my phone and found my account on here. She went on and on about how my friends are a bad influence and it's just a phase. Thanks to all for your help. I'm gonna go to sleep now. :bang:

8. Khai

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you think they'll be comfortable with it then yes.

9. Linkmaste

I'm sorry to hear about your mom saying it's a phase. I don't know if this helps but my parents said the same thing when I tried coming out and now they're totally okay with everything. However I don't know about the gender fluid department I'm still new to that concept myself and learning. Keep your chin up and try to remain positive. Were here for you.

10. PurpleAndBlack

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh no, that really, really sucks a whole lot. :frowning2: I'm sorry to hear that your mom isn't being as awesomely supportive as she could be . . . I was really hoping that you would be able to count on her to accept you, but it doesn't look like that's the case, at least right now. . . .

There is something to be said about the possibility of her accepting your genderfluidity and supporting you later on. . . . When I told my mother I was asexual, she started crying and blah blah blah, and now she's okay with it. I also have a gay friend whose mother sort of "checked out," mentally, for three or four days after he told her he was gay, but now they talk about guys and everything else normally. Parents not reacting in the best ways, but then coming back around later, is definitely something that happens quite a lot. It's not ideal, I know. :/

11. TayReb

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you all for your kind words. Its really nice to have people to talk to away from school! Your understanding and support are truly appreciated.