1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I expect

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bob4carl09, Mar 25, 2009.

1. bob4carl09

bob4carl09 Guest

So I'm gearing up to it now. I'm gonna have a chance to come out to my friends this weekend. I don't know for sure if I'm gonna, and to be honest I'd rather not stress myself out over the details and end up freaking like the other day (thanks to everyone who replied to my last post, it's appreciated), but I wanna go in feeling a little bit prepared, kinda how I operate best in exams :slight_smile:

So I'm gonna be honest, and anything that's asked I'll try and answer, but I wanna have an idea what to expect. So what all did your friends ask you guys when you told them? Or was it less an interview and more a chat?

2. Alex19

i only told 2 friends but they already knew. no questions, though. theyre very supportive. and im sure yours will be as well. good luck! and just stay calm and keep positive!

3. riddlerno1

hey bobcarl09! firstly i think you will be fine!! I had the same bundle of nerves and stuff and i found out that i need to have more faith in my friends!!

It is like a chat! They will have lots of questions but i found that its not really a barrage! I found it does take a while for the news to sink in before things start popping into their heads. i got the usual ones:

how long have u known?,
    who have u told?
    are u ok>
    have u been with anyone?
    etc etc

but one thing i will say for me it was one of the biggest buzzes to finally get it out there!

4. Stuie

My advice is expect the worst but hope for the best. It normally turns out better than you were expecting but there's always room for something disastrous. I came out to my first friends via email and all of the replies were along the lines of "that's unexpected but we're still great friends" but some people will ask the ever-so-irritating "how do you know?" The same way they know they're straight!
    The next couple of friends I came out to were by MSN who would generally ask "really?" and then be ok with it all.
    Good luck and go for it!

5. Jim1454

I don't think my friends asked that many questions. They wanted to know how I was doing, as they recognized that it was a tough thing to contemplate and then disclose.

I'm sure you'll be fine. (whatever you do, don't tell them the secret handshake.)

6. bob4carl09

bob4carl09 Guest

Secret handshake? Clearly I missed orientation (excuse the pun!) - tell me more... :icon_bigg

7. Jim1454

Orientation! Good one! :roflmao:

8. Just Adam

always expect the worst in life that way your never upset just pleasently surprised.
    just expect the are you sure how do you know that sort of thing.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just remember - you've known for months, or years. They've known for a couple minutes. So they going to ask questions that you've answered to yourself a long time ago. Don't lose your patience, don't get angry. For instance, you'll probably hear "Really? Are you sure?" (I heard that one more than anything.) And it's easy to want to blow up and yell, "Of course I'm sure! You think I'd tell you all this if I wasn't sure?!" Don't. Just say "Yeah. I've been pretty sure for some time now." :slight_smile:

Lex

10. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The questions I got most often were "Are you sure?" "How do you know?" and "Are you going to start hitting on me?" My friends weren't very accepting, though, and weren't exactly nice about it. Your mileage may vary.

11. DexterMorgan

My friends asked me if I was sure, how I knew, what guys I like, how far I've gone with a guy, and if I thought they were hot...of course I said I couldn't answer that one, haha.