1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to parents because of relationship...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Darsch Hielle, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Darsch Hielle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sooooooooo
    I have a bit of a problem. I am this close || to being in a relationship with a girl.

Buuuuuuut..... I am not yet out to my parents, and didn't expect to come out this soon. My mom is accepting, at least I think, and I'm not worried about her. It;s my dad I'm worried about. He claims he's conservative, but he seems moderate at the very least. But I've had conversations with him about LGBT stuff and anything past gay, bi, and trans, he thinks is stupid. Great. I'm sure he'll *loooove* when I try to explain pansexual and demisexual to him. I mean I can easily leave off the demisexual part, as it's not that important compared to the fact that I may soon be dating a girl... And I could say bisexual instead of pansexual but like... Then I'd have to explain pansexual later... I don't know.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions or anything? Or any stories they'd like to share that relate in some way?
    Thanks!

2. CarlyRaeJepsen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey Darsch,

I think you need to assess the impact of your dad's reaction before telling him. Maybe he'll get mad at first. Would that bother you? or would you be okay with letting him some space for reflection? And I agree with you about coming out as bi as first. It's just something people are familiar with I guess. Don't let this ruin your relationship though! I wish you the best

3. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really like this signature. I would advise you to live that statement if you really believe it. Would you really want to deny that you exist as a pansexual female by coming out as bi if you don't really believe it?

I also completely understand the desire to come out, as it happened to me (just later in life), but I wonder if your parents may think it's just a phase, or you are confused. Most people don't understand it and think it's just made up. When/if you decide to come out to your family, you may need to educate them as well, so having information for them about pansexuality might be helpful.

If you want to do this in stages to help lessen the impact, but without coming out as bi and then changing it to pan later (make you seem flakey?) how about first letting them know you're not straight? You can tell them that you're still determining what your sexuality truly is, but you do know that you're not straight. After they get used to the idea, you could then begin to educate them about pansexuality.

I hope this helps you.