1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orientation confuses me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by marri, Mar 26, 2009.

1. marri

I stiiil can't get my head through it.. is being homosexual physchological or physical?

I've never made an effort to read about it, because I'm worried the answer I get just won't help me.

maybe you guys can answer... what is it? what makes us, us?

2. ArabMan

Hey there!

The answer is complex and there are many theories but I think it's a mixture of:

Genetic predisposition (it is not genetic but there is a genetic predisposition)
    Childhood and psychanalytical theories (oedipian development and sexuality)
    Development before you were born
    etc.

That's a super simplified version. Some religious people will say it's god that created you this way (but I'm not religious), some others will say it's genetic, etc.

But I don't see why are you scared to read on the matter? I highly encourage you to, it will help you understand yourself better! And you'll see that you're perfectly normal :slight_smile:

3. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Damn Arab totally beat me. :frowning2: Basically, you born that way and how late it develops can depend on surroundings and experiences.

But having a micropenis, being abused by someone of the opposite sex, an overbearing mother don't necessarily warrant someone becoming a homosexual. :wink: Don't believe the stereotypes or terrible propaganda.

4. Derek the Wolf

It can be considered physiological and psychological. Just like any thought it has components of both: a difference in chemical makeup based on genetic factors and psychological differences based on environmental development.
    In other words, there is no definite, absolute, or straightforward *giggles* answer.

5. Greggers

Well, if your upbringing affects you becoming gay...

WHY the fuck am i gay? Every day of my life i was told by at least one person it was a sickness, it was evil, god looked down on it, ect. ect. ect. I had a strict upbringing to say the least.

I somehow still became big ol' faggity Greg :slight_smile:

On the same topic, we have gay mormans, gay people in Hitler's Germany, gay people in the bible belt, even a few famous homophobic spokes people have had gay children. It seems clear as day to me that your upbringing cant make you straight or gay.

I do agree, your upbringing may cause what you already are to manifest earlier, but thats about ALL i believe it to have in cause to homosexuality. I am very strong for the we are born this way theory.

As for the genetics, as i was taught there is no "Gay Gene" because sexuality it more like a whole crapload of genes interwoven into like a quilt. You cant just pick the gene out of the hat that makes you gay or straight. This is also why not alot of people are 100% straight or 100% gay, because its to do with SO many genes. Its what gives us all the lovely shades of grey.

6. littleninja

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Funny, my mom left me a couple cd's to listen to about lesbianism, and I listened to the first one today, which basically contended that being a lesbian is the sort of disease you get when you have a genetic predisposition and then are exposed to a)an absent mother b)an overly present mother c)an absent father d)an overly present father etc.....

So, what I gleaned from that is this... life makes you gay, if you have a predisposition towards it. Yet they say you're not born that way.

I've decided to stop listening to my mother's attempts at "helping."