1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my team

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nonbel, Oct 15, 2016.

1. nonbel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am a college athlete who has come out to myself and a few others this year. I have come out to my closest friends and my siblings and they all have been great about it as I expected them to be. Before coming out I really had a problem with anxiety and depression due to not being myself around my team, that affected my athletic performance. Since telling the people immediately around me I've been happier than I have been a such a long time. Now that season has started I'm back around my team and only two of them know I feel myself slipping back to that state. So now I want to tell the rest of my team so that I don't have to constantly filter my thoughts, words and actions and can just be myself around these girls that are supposed to be like family. I'm more worried about how to go about it rather than their reactions. I live in a very accepting area so this isn't a big deal to anyone except for me. Any thoughts on go about it?

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey nonbel,

What about wearing LGBTQ Pride colors in and around the locker room (a bracelet, a shirt, a pendant, etc)? And, if you have your own locker, what about posting a Pride flag on it (like taping one up on the outside or inside or finding a magnetic Pride flag to post on your locker)?

Just some thoughts…:slight_smile:

3. Bouldghirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great idea Quantumreality. That's a really good way of saying "Hey folks, this is me". A Pride flag is worth a thousand words.