1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

social stigma and fear

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Blinko, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Blinko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    well, i accidentally came out to a 'former' best friend after 11 years of internal contemplation and suffering... we used to have frequent sleepovers and would cosy up while watching movies or anything intimate....until that day....i am 50-50 on the emotions that run through my head as i remember the turning point of my whole life....she asked me to leave her place immediately yet it was around 2 a.m despite the unsafety of her neighborhood...the next couple of days she spread the news to all our mutual friends and even people i didn't really interact with....i could walk down the school halls and see people staring and pointing....it felt horrible....then i started getting anonymous calls and messages from men that would threaten to 'turn me straight'....my 'male' friends made fun of me...i felt isolated and stigmatized and had to disappear for a while to let the heat go down....i stayed home for a while before finding a new place to stay...i changed classes to avoid my now ' former' friends....i now live as lone wolf under my own terms....yeah it was a horrible time and i lost 'fake' friends but am happy to live freely

2. hptrek314

Sorry you went through that, but i'm glad you learned to love yourself for who you are, that's awesome! :slight_smile:

3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is a horrible thing for "friends" to do, and I'm sorry you had to go through that :frowning2:

The bright side is that you've now seen who your true friends are, and who are fake. You've taken it upon yourself to find your own place, and that's a good starting point. Now you have the freedom you need to grow personally and emotionally, and now that your "friends" have shown their true colours, you get to make new, accepting, true friends, who will never mock you or go around telling everyone they meet/interact with.

Unfortunately the social stigma will always be there. Though there are more and more of the LGBT community coming out and being proud, we are still in the minority, and social norms will always be an issue. But don't let that hold you back from living the way you want. If people cannot accept that part of you, then they're not worth your time. In the meantime, all of us here at EC will give you the support and advice you need and will try our best to help you get over all of this internalized homophobia. (*hug*) (&&&)

4. Blinko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    yeah it gets better, has its low moments but at the end of the day you have control of your life:icon_bigg

---------- Post added 17th Oct 2016 at 12:13 AM ----------

thatnks for the support and yeah...i am a bit more keen about the people that i let in to my personal affairs.EC is a safe place :icon_bigg

5. PotatoPotato

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Making real friends honestly comes down to luck. Doing stuff will in most cases give you new friends at some point.

Homophobia is horrible but life will get better. :thumbsup:

Oh, you are reading this? well then here is some advice.
    You will "know" the very first time you talk to someone if he is/will be a real friend. Not like: "oh he seems nice" or "Woah I like him/her/it/Something". Stand still for a second when you meet a new person and think about how you and him er getting along and how open, closed, nice and friendly it is going, simular interests may play a role but most importantly, what feeling does it leave you with (Not talkign about love).
    That was messy but I hope you understand what I tried to say

6. Blinko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    yeah i understand what you are saying and thanks for the support. Exposing vulnerable aspects to people is a thing of the past...thanks for your reassurance

7. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was told when I was a teenager that when you are going through a difficult period in your life...this is when you actually find out who are genuine and who are fake. Although, initially, you are hurt and disappointed by their behavior/actions but at the end of the day..they did you a huge favor. They say that God puts your life in a position to get rid of certain people in order to allow some better people with a better fit to come in and replace. Getting rid of the old and replacing it with the new....This is how I look at your situation...Good riddance!!!!!

8. Blinko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i agree good riddance!!