1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety Issues

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Smiley1123, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Smiley1123

I have had some anxieties for a while. The worse one is separation anxiety. I go crazy when my mom does not pick up her phone at work. If an hour goes by I usually get very very nervous. I am also worried about natural disasters (such as 12/21/2012,) and fires!:bang::bang: Its awful!

I'm afraid of a lot more stuff but it would take forever to write out. Does anyone know how to deal with my anxieties and issues? Thank you so much!

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well yes! You turn your thoughts around. When you find that you are thinking about these things that worry you, then you need to change your thoughts to something good. Your mom is probably not answering her phone at work because she's busy and does not want to get in trouble for personal calls. This is a GOOD thing! It allows her to make money to contribute to your household.

Everybody has fears but you can't dwell on them all the time. Otherwise you will be a mess!

When you experience these unhealthy thoughts and anxiety, its much like trying to paddle a boat upstream. Its very difficult and wears you out. Turn your boat around. (your thoughts) Then paddle downstream and feel how much easier it is!

3. InaRut

Like Becky and said, a "happy place" is a good way to deal with these things. Don't let your imagination run wild. Look at this way, if 20/21/2012 does happen do you wanna spend your last days worrying, or do you just want to enjoy the many days before that POSSIBLY (low possibility) eventful day.

Also the deal with 20/21/2012...is so some research--do you know how many TIMES the world has been predicted that it'll be destroyed?

Remember the millineum. I'm still alive from that, I don't know about you.

ANYWAYS,
    Just try not to let your imagniation run wild, it can get the best of you. Don't worry, be happy :slight_smile:

4. myra

Well...separation anxiety is something that i know infants/young children go through. And in my experiances with that, i think your best option would be to find a transition object. for younger kids, that's usually a blanket or a stuffed animal that makes them feel secure. I would actually suggest the same for you. Nothing is better than having something to cuddle with when things get rough. And i hope you don't take offense to the references to younger kids. I'm majoring in early childhood, so they are what i know best. I do really think though that some kind of transition object can help you.

5. Peter76

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with Beckyg, you need to spot negative thoughts before they take hold and make you anxious. Ive been working on this too as I have high levels of anxiety. Thoughts, feelings and behaviours are all linked, so spotting negative thoughts and nipping them in the bud before they affect mood is a good place to start. I also have a habit of "catastrophising" - making mountains out of molehills. Recognising these negative thinking patterns and eliminating them and focusing on positives will help reduce your anxiety levels. If you feel that things are so bad that you are having problems with day to day life, it might be an idea to have a word with your doctor about CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) as a way of managing your anxiety, so it doesnt manage you! Hope this helps a little.

6. Smiley1123

Thanks for the assistance guys! (*hug*)