1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wolfwing, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Wolfwing

I've thought a lot about coming out and despite knowing how I'll probably do it, I can never figure out when. Pretty much I've narrowed down the when to 2 options a).remain closeted and not come out until I start dating someone or b).don't wait and try to come out as soon as I can. So, I'm pretty much stuck at a crossroads as to whether it'd be better for me to remain closeted until I start dating someone or if I should come out sooner. Also, if this is of any importance, I'm currently in high school. So, it'll probably be a while before I actually get in a relationship, though I feel like if I wait longer, I'll be more of sure of how I'll actually come out. Though, I'm not too sure about this because I don't spend most of or all of my time in high school closeted. So, I'm just not really sure what to do regarding this.

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do you say that because you're in high school it'll probably be a while before you actually get in a relationship? Don't straight guys get into relationships while in high school or is there some other reason why you don't think a relationship is in your future? It seems to me like high school is the best time for you to learn how to date guys. College is good too.

It sounds like you've determined that you want to come out, and now it's just a timing issue of waiting for a boyfriend or not before coming out. I would suggest that you come out before getting a boyfriend. Adding coming out to a new relationship adds another dynamic to each. Coming out is hard, even in an accepting environment. Dating is also hard, navigating all the potential ups and downs of beginning a new relationship. So, why combine them into an even harder puzzle?

I think you'll be fine whenever you decide to do it, but my vote would be for sooner rather than later, and not combining coming out with a new relationship.

Good luck!

3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the sooner you come out (provided you're ready emotionally and mentally), the better. Being in a closeted relationship puts a lot of strain on both you and your partner, especially if he's already openly out. I know that it may seem better to wait until you're dating someone, because then you can use that as a starting point in the coming out conversation (Mom/Dad/Whoever - I'm dating so-and-so, which means I'm gay). But like I said, being in the closet and having to hide who you're dating can really be taxing on both of you. Ultimately, it's up to you to wait, or come out now, but I would advise you come out before dating someone.