1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think it's time

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AndyTheKoala, Oct 17, 2016.

1. AndyTheKoala

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it will be time soon to come out to my family as genderfluid.
    I turn 18 soon and will be moving out so they can't really do anything about it.
    My only concern is HOW.
    I don't know how to say it.
    "Mom, dad. I'm genderfluid and I would like you to use either he pronouns or they pronouns."
    I also have no idea how to come out to my friends, who I know will be more understanding.

I'm nervous and have no idea how to go about this...

2. Smores

Have you talked to them about the idea of gender at all? If so, you can start with what you discussed. If not, you could always take a straightforward approach and just say it which is hard but makes it harder to "chicken out".

3. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any true friend knows this is the metal of honor of all true friendships. By thinking enough of them to expose to them your true identity, you are letting them know that you think enough of your friendship that you are willing to put it at risk in full confidence of their support. Any true friend would be deeply moved by your telling them.

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey AndyTheKoala,

Since what you have to tell them is more involved have you considered writing out a letter for them? Or maybe just telling them what you have to tell them, but have some relevant materials on-hand and ask them to read through them, then asking you whatever questions they have? Or something along those lines?

Take Care.:slight_smile: