1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my grandma

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xadude, Mar 27, 2009.

1. xadude

Now I know this is rather strange maybe but my parents are demanding I come out to my grandma personally. They are saying I should go visit her on a planned day. Probably, this is going to be next Friday but for me (and I think for many others) coming out is a thing that you do in a moment, you don't plan it and I honestly do not know how to handle it. I have a good excuse to go there because she needs some help with her computer so I'm going to do that but I sort of need to come out on that day... any advice on how I should can handle this? I think her reaction will be fine, I won't be excommunicated even though she is a catholic. Please help me though!

2. Mickey

Oh,God! I was scared to death to come out to my Grandmother,too.
    Thankfully,she knew two guys that were a couple,so I knew she was at least a little open to it.
    I had been dating a real bitch and I decided that it wasn't working and I broke up with her.
    When I did this,she threatened to tell my Grandmother that I was a lesbian. She knew how close I was to my Grandmother and was just being a spiteful bitch.
    So,I felt I had no choice but to come out to her.
    I just came right out with it,using her two guy friends,as an example.
    She was awesome! (another Catholic,too!) She said everything I had hoped she'd say.
    i.e.,"I love you no matter what"and"I just want you to be happy!"
    I guess I sorta underestimated her. Maybe you're doing the same thing.
    I know how nerve wracking it can be,especially to close family.
    You can do this. Just take a deep breath(or 2!) and tell her. You may be surprised how
    she reacts. But you need to do this when you're ready,not when someone forces you to.
    'Cause that sucks. Take your time,maybe write it all down. I'm pretty sure it'll go okay.
    Good luck. Mickey*

3. Mestiz0

Dude! Props to you for finally gaining the courage to do this. A lot of people might think "Grandma?! That's not that big of a deal!" But I totally know where you are coming from. I haven't come out to anyone in my family but my Grandma is DEFINITELY going to be the hardest one out of them all. She is EXTREMELY Catholic and doesn't exercise any restraint when talking about gays.

She has even asked me directly, face to face, in my DENTIST'S OFFICE of all places:
    Honey, you aren't a fag, right?

*dies*

Jesus, but yeah. I think you will just need to take a few deep breaths and just say it. If you haven't had any past relationships or girlfriends and she KNOWS this...tell her that in question form.

"Grandma, how many girlfriends have I had?"
    "None."
    "How often do I talk about girls?"
    "Well never."
    "Well do you know why??"

And just either let her guess or just tell her. Also, do this AFTER you finish fixing her computer...that way, if you need to, you can leave after you tell her.

If you DO leave, make sure you talk to her first. Just leave with a small note or something.

She may be shocked and just be completely silent, and that is when you say

"Well I am going to go now, and let you think about it. I love you."

And quietly walk out.

Best of luck to you dude!!! :thumbsup: