1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nervous about coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gmaster, Oct 24, 2016.

1. gmaster

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey there, thanks for taking the time to actually read this. I've recently accepted myself as bisexual and come out to a few close friends after getting into a gay relationship and I'm very happy with this relationship. However, it's a long distance relationship and every time I want to see my boyfriend I have to lie to my parents about why I'm going out of the house for the day (I'm 15 and obviously still at home with parents). I want to come out to them so I don't have to lie to them but I'm actually just nervous.

My parents have never expressed homophobic views, they have always been supportive of me and they aren't super religious. And somehow I'm still scared of coming out to them. I'm sure it's just because I've read too many storied about people who got kicked out of their homes by homophobic parents.

I guess I'm asking for ways to come out that aren't really scary like just going up to them and saying: "Mum, dad, I'm gay."

Thanks in advance (!)

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's really all there is to it. It's the best way in my opinion. It's simple, there's no big lead-up to the announcement, and there's no big long speech you have to remember.

They may ask you questions, and if you are willing, that's where you can share the things you've been wanting to tell them for a long time.

If you believe your parents are not homophobic, then I think it will be ok. You will feel so relieved after you do it.

Good luck! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey gmaster,

Are you confident that you understand and accept you sexuality? I note that you identify as bisexual, but refer to yourself as gay in your post. I’m happy that you have bf to explore your sexuality with. Coming out to parents is especially hard. Even when we are ‘sure’ that they will be accepting, it is hard to talk to them about sex in the first place and then to have to expose our non-heterosexuality makes us feel SO vulnerable and exposed. It’s just a massive mountain to climb. Saying the words “I’m gay” or “I’m bisexual” to family or close friends can be enormously difficult. Ways around that might be to have a note that expresses that statement and hand it to them and then be prepared to talk about it. You could also write them a letter that you either hand them or leave for them to read while you are away, depending on how you want to do this. Regardless of how you do this, remember that you have had your entire lifetime to come to terms with your sexuality, so it isn’t fair to expect them to just process what you say immediately. Their first reaction will be an indicator, but, unless they already suspected that you weren’t heterosexual, they will need time to come to their own understanding and acceptance of your sexuality.

There is one thing I’d like to point out as a personal pet-peeve, though. You said that you are in a gay relationship. I know it’s mostly semantics, but there is a lot of biphobia out there and it’s sometimes hard for bisexuals to be accepted even in the LGBTQ community. Perhaps a better way of expressing your relationship would be that you are in a same-sex relationship. Monosexuals tend to think that bisexuals are just undecided about their sexuality, so calling a relationship ‘gay’ or ‘straight’ tends to contribute to their misunderstanding. As a bisexual, I prefer to refer to my relationships as ‘same-sex’ or ‘opposite-sex’. Now, if you later decide that you are really just gay, then the terminology ‘gay relationship’ would be totally appropriate. Just my thoughts on that.

Good luck!

Take Care.:slight_smile: