1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as trans

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nightowl88, Oct 25, 2016.

1. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay so I finally feel sure enough to come out as trans at school but there is one thing I have to do first...tell my father. My father will be fine with it I know but I worry his reaction will be the same as my moms. I told my mom A couple months ago and she has basically ignored it. She acts as though I haven't told her and when I bring it up she makes it clear she thinks I'm making a mistake. She keeps trying to make me be more feminine and girly by telling me I should wear makeup and more dresses and saying how grow up I would look if I showed my chest a bit more and wear tighter shirts. She keeps telling me to grow my hair out and how much I'm going to hate wearing a binder. I am terrified that my dad and stepmom will react the same way and this is kind of my fault because I talked to my mom and dad several months ago about this and then a day or two later told them that I actually don't think I could be and basically chickened out of it. I'm not really worried about school since I anyone tried to bully me my boyfriend already scares the crap out of them and most people leave me alone since I'm really quiet. I already present mainly male so it won't be a huge change other than name and pronouns and I think my name will be an easier change than the other trans person at school because I will not be changing my first initial which a lot of kids find it easier than. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for telling my dad without being extremely nervous and if anyone knows what to do with my mom and if my dad responds the same way. Thanks for reading this though and for helping me out here.

2. Smores

First off, it's important to remember that how you feel and identify is important. Second, I got a lot of the same "be more girly" speeches and even though I'm not out about my gender, I cut my own hair and dress how I want and people have mostly stopped telling me to "be girly". As for your dad, I think you should just tell him and have faith that he will accept the change. If not, it's important to stay true to how you feel.