1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The right time to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JjAnn, Oct 25, 2016.

1. JjAnn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey whoever!
    So, I recently had the epiphany that I'm bisexual. I have come out to only a handful of people including my sister and my very close friends. At some point, I feel like I should tell my parents. I have no doubt my mom will accept me with open arms. My dad, I'm pretty sure will love me no matter what. He just isn't very openly opinionated on these things so I can't say how he'all exactly react.
    The thing I'm wondering is, when should I? Or should I even bother?
    I have only dating a few people and they were all guys. For a long time, I haven't been interested in being in a relationship.
    If I start dating a girl, I figured I'd tell them just in case it became serious. However, I don't really know if or when that'll happen.
    Is it weird that I don't tell them? I know sometimes I feel like I'm sensory myself so they don't know, but I don't mind telling them.
    I'm just really confused on how to start the topic when dating isn't even on my radar. The only thing that makes me feel like I should would be the fact that I know and am now purposely sensory myself.
    Any helpful insights?

#1 JjAnn, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  2. KSatt

Only you can determine when the time is right. If you think your parents will be supportive and you want to tell them, then go for it. If you are still living at home it's important to be sure your situation is safe before telling parents who may not be supportive, but it sounds like you don't foresee that as being an issue. This leaves you open to speak your truth whenever you feel like you're ready. Best of luck to you!

3. Smores

I felt the same before I came out to my aunt. When I did, I just said I was bi and she asked me why I thought that and when I explained, she was like ok i still love you. I think you should come out if you feel like you aren't being true to yourself.

4. Odahingum

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm engaged to be married and at some point I'll have to tell my family. My biggest worry is that they'll resent not having known I was interested in guys before this big news. If you can come out to your parents way before dumping even bigger news on them, I recommend you do it.

5. Jack or Jinx

Out Status:
    All but family
    I myself have not come out to my parents, but a few of my friends have. As far as I can tell, if you're almost 100% sure your parents will accept you, you could just bring whoever you could possibly be dating at the time home with you and have some back-up moral support for explaining.