1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deciding Between 3 College Majors

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Swamp56, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Ok

I'm going to be attending University of Hartford in the fall of this year, and I'm basically straightening out what I will be doing for a major. Here are the top 3 choices I have; I am certain that I'll be following one of these options:

Psychology
    1. I LOVE it
    2. I'm absolutely fascinated by the mind and how it works
    3. Decent pay (~$75,000 in my area)
    4. again, I LOVE it

Computer Science
    1. Booming field
    2. I'm good at it
    3. I enjoy it
    4. For a software engineer, the average pay is ~$95,000

Biomedical Engineering
    1. Great aid for my aim at medical school
    2. Good pay
    3. Booming field
    4. I love dealing with the human body

I'm inclined to go with psychology because I absolutely LOVE learning about the human mind, cognition, perception, and about how the mind works in general. I also find researching mental illness fascinating as well :slight_smile: .

Anyway, what do you all think :grin: ?

P.S.
    Also note that I'm aiming at medical school, so I'm doing pre-med in association with these majors :slight_smile: .

2. LEOs curse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    psychology as it will speed you in becoming psycologist if you wanted after med school. it pays HUGE and you get to deal with the human body while also working intimately with the human mind.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You love it, you wanna learn about the human mind, and you can combine it with pre-med. Sounds like a really good choice to me! :slight_smile:

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd support psychology too. If you really love learning about something, you'll get a lot out of studying it.

5. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

Do they really pay psychologists that well there? Not here in the third world lol. Anyway, if that's what you find the most fascinating, you should definitely go for it.

6. sdc91

Love your job and you'll never have to work a day in your life.

That makes the choice seem pretty easy. Just make sure you know everything about being a psychologist (I'm assuming that's what you want to do) before you make your choice.

7. PurpleTomato

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Actually, computer science isn't booming. It's kind of dead, especially in the US. You can learn computer science on your own and it can be a handy addition to another major. Computational science on the other hand is really booming. It's much more science based, using computers only as a tool to solve problems. It's a lot of math and stuff.

Psychology is one of those fields that's kinda saturated with lots of mediocre people, but those who are really good can get very far and be very successful. Biomedical engineering is great too. Maybe, since you're looking into med school and since you like the mind and all, maybe neuroscience is the way to go?

Anyway, good luck on whatever you choose!

8. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Actually Computer Science is booming especially in the US. When the media says Computer Science and they're talking about lay offs and out-sourcing what they really mean is basic programmers. In a Computer Science curriculum, you take about 3 programming courses. Thats it. There is far more involved in Computer Science than programming. You can teach yourself programming fairly easily. But algorithms, design, and theory are quite a bit more complex. While you can teach them to yourself, just like can teach anatomy, astro-physics, etc, to yourself, it's much harder. Basic programmers are what fueled the dot-com bubble. Their the level of programming that gets outsourced to India. Advanced programming, systems programming, distributed programming, those are the programmers that are actually not only keeping their jobs but also getting starting salaries with just a B.S. thats twice the national average starting salary.

Go to a technical carreer fair at a university and you'll be hard pressed to find more than 25% of the companies in attendance not hiring computer science majors. (Technical meaning the fairs that are targetting science and engineering students as opposed to libral arts students.) Not on is the shift moving away from overseas out sourcing due to horrible quality standards but the number of computer scientists in the field is diminishing as well with the onset of baby boomer retirement and tons of legacy systems in languages, design patterns, and paradigms that haven't been taught in 15 years. And in addition to all of that, you'd be hard pressed to find an industry not in need of computer scientists since technology is invading every aspect of life.

That being said (and back to the OP), I wouldn't recommend it based on the other areas you seem interested in. Especially if you're looking to go into med school after you get your undergraduate degree(s). If you like technology and thats why you mentioned Comp Sci, then biomedical engineering would probably be a better bet when paired with med school. Comp Sci might be two far from medicine to easily bridge where as biomedical engineering wouldn't. I'd have some overlap which allows for far easier integration. While you might like the full set of skills to completly understand/create the software behind biomedical devices you would be able to design them and understand the high level concepts. With comp sci though, there might be too large of a gap to be able to do the design in order to utilize the comp sci skill set.

But regardless, do what you enjoy most. Don't worry about the money differences or the usefullness of the combination. Pick whatever interests you most and what you will enjoy most doing.

9. Eleanor Rigby

Do what you love ! It's the best motivation ever to study hard and be successful at what you do.

10. Lychee

I say you should do psychology. :slight_smile:

You love it :slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

11. Apocalypte

If you're going to med school, GPA is EVERYTHING. So (and I absolutely hate to say this) pick whatever you can get the highest GPA in - and that probably counts out the engineering major.

I'm a Comp Sci major myself, and I'm at the :bang: stage of the degree when I've just got my thesis left to go so I may be a little more bitter about my degree choice than I usualy am!

12. Jennn

Sounds like psychology to me..

13. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it seems clear-cut to me: if you love doing something, are fascinated by it AND it pays well, you should pick that. So Psychology it should be.

Though I still somehow wish to push you onto Biomedical engineering. But I'm a Bio-engineer myself, so I'm predjudiced :lol:

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Running joke at my college: 99% of students enter pre-med. 1% graduate that way. And it's the 1% that didn't enter that way.

Go with what you love. :slight_smile:

Lex

15. justinishere

I think that Physiology is going to be the best for you. It is something you love and 10 years from now you would probably see yourself still doing it. While picking a major, everyone says think about the pay, think about the pay, but its not all that. You could have a great job with great pay but actually hate it later on. Think about what you want from the future and something you will see yourself doing for a long time! :]

16. KeithJ108

I wanted to do Psychology, I choose Comp Sci for the same reasons you gave and because it gave better job prospects for me. I regret it now and I don't enjoy it anymore :tears:

Choose what you love, not what you enjoy :slight_smile:

17. Bryan44

psychology ftw!!!

18. pokeypanda

I would say choose what you love...maybe when your picking classes take one class in the other field also. When you take those other classes you might realized that’s something that you defiantly don’t want to do!

I'm a prime example changed my major like 3 times XD haha

19. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say choose psychology. If it's something you love, why not? The other two choices sound like they're not your passion. I'm minoring in psychology and enjoy it. I'd recommend it. :thumbsup:

20. tractatus

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Definitely do whatever you enjoy most, because however much money you'll make at the end of it, you'll be happy :slight_smile: