1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

They call it acting for a reason...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lucky Panda, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Lucky Panda

Hahaha, one of my hobbies (which i forgot to mention in my profile) is acting. My theatre teacher has told me for a freshmen, I'm very talented and better then some of his second year students. This makes me hopeful in many ways, and has landed me some parts in recent plays. Me and my English friend Kayli are his top students of the ninth grade and were extremely lucky enough to be invited onto his UIL production of "Little Women". Now, here's my problem:
    I got the part of John Brooke. He falls in love with Margaret March, and due to my sexual orientation, i find it hard to act..."lovable" and "flirt" with her throughout the production. I've tried many things, like imagining she was a guy (i know, that sounds horrible) but nothing seems to work. I feel like our scene is the weakest in the whole act, and I want to change that. Any advice?

2. biisme

Hmmm.....is there anyone in real life that you flirt with, and friends? (even if it means absolutely nothing)

And, do you have any friends that would like to practice with you, or the girl herself?

3. Lucky Panda

Kinda... lol, but its not that simple... i need to know how my tone of voice should be when i try to tell her i love her... it not easy =\

4. Stuie

It's not going to be the weakest scene in the act. That's why you have a tech crew to stuff things up. Practice makes perfect and even if you don't have your heart into it, try to get into the mindset of the character. Being genuinely like the character can help deliver a better performance, but there are roles you will play which you hate, so you just have to practise harder to make it more convincing. I have the same feeling while playing music.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As you said, it's called "acting". If you can act angry at somebody you're not angry with, and act like you're best friends with someone you don't really know, then you can act flirtatious towards someone who really doesn't float your boat.

You might try pulling the emotion up from elsewhere. For instance, some actors might pretend their costar stabbed them in the back in order to help act angry towards them, or pretend their co-star is their BFF in order to act extra-chummy. Similarly, you might picture your female co-star as being a famous guy you fancy, or a fantasy guy you've built.

Lex