1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian Nurse?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sky Robins, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Sky Robins

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I am currently in nursing school and am coming out a little at a time to people in my cohort about my sexual identity. From a nursing perspective, the medical field is hit and miss for providing good, quality healthcare to the LGBTQ+ population. Now I am also wondering about how safe/acceptable it is to be an open lesbian as a nurse. Does anyone here have experience in the medical field who may have some insight into this and how I should approach a medical career with this identity? :help:

2. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

I am not an insider but these people are:

GLMA - GLMA Home Page

take care! :slight_smile:

p.s. seems whenever i'm n the hospital there's bi/lesbian nurses around :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :wink:

3. TXTurbo90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have worked in the industry at a medical device manufacturer, and what I can say is the biggest issue with the medical industry is that so many of the major hospitals are run by religious assholes. (think of how many are openly christian in the united states)

I have had one friend who is a nurse (cis-female) who was chastised until she left the hospital, but found no issues at her new workplace. Like any business/organization with religious affiliations, they attract a disgusting cesspool of haters. Not trying to dissuade you from your career path at all, its a very commendable profession helping other. I'm just trying to give some insight into the places that you might want to avoid.

4. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Mayo Clinic may be a good fit. I know there are gblt nurses there.

Good luck!

5. Silver Sparrow

Hi! If your nursing school/the overarching university has an LGBT center or group, it may be worth talking to them, as they might have resources specific to your region.

6. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

TXTurbo90 no offense meant at all, but is your experience in Texas? I would really hope maybe some other parts of the country wouldn't be as harsh , and the OP is in Washington so I would hope that would be one of them

I remember an ER doctor was a lesbian in NYC and her marriage announcement was in the NY Times. I dont believe she was ever harrassed.

Take care :slight_smile:

7. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wow I find it quite shocking that you are saying, TXTurbo90, that the majority of American hospitals are religious... I suppose becuase of the NHS here most of them have to be secular. I think there are some establishments named after saints but they are not actually run religiously as far as I know. I feel like most doctors over here would probably be atheist; I know if I met a doctor i'd probably be assuming they're atheist. But nurses yes are probably more religious. Not that your fellow nurses can fire you. It would have to be management and they can't as a state business discriminate against you like that legally.

You should probably try and find work in a pretty liberal area as the poster above suggested. I can't imagine you'd come across much of what TXTurbo90's talking about in those sort of places.

8. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to say I don't know a lot of lesbian nurses but I do know quite a few gay male nurses and it seems like the few times I have interacted with hospitals there are always at least a couple. I can't imagine it would be a problem most places.

9. TanMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like I'm currently in the same position as you. I'm a gay male, and I'm applying to nursing schools now (hoping to get into one next semester). I'm not out to anyone, except my older brother, two cousins, and a couple friends (haven't actually said it directly to the friends, but I passively emphasized with an Instagram post). I'm possibly coming out to my parents within the next month, and I really want to come out on Facebook when I find out that I get accepted into a nursing program. I just feel like I cant start the next chapter in my life (starting nursing school), without being open about myself. But here's the thing; You can still be open, but you don't need to tell everyone you come in contact with.

10. Linkmaste

Two of my good friends are lesbian and they're both nurses. Maybe it's a Canadian thing but nurses and cops have and lot of lesbians. I came out to at least 15 on the force and three of the ladies are gay.

I can't say for the states though.

11. TXTurbo90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No offense taken at all Falcon. Just a friendly discussion on our experiences, and that is a relevant point of being in a very conservative/bigoted part of the country. (*hug*)

To answer your question... YES, that was in Texas. I can't speak for other areas in the country as I have not heard much on that subject. Maybe the correct thing to say is that if you are lgbt in the medical industry, it might be wise to stay out of the religion affiliated bible belt hospitals.

Note: The medical device manufacturer that I worked for did not have a single out LGBT member there (with more than 100 employees in that office alone). It also had a strong christian corporate culture.. It was pretty much known that if you came out there, you would be fired without hesitation. (Unfortunately Texas offers no protections for LGBT peoples in the workplace)

#11 TXTurbo90, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  12. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Although I know it's not the simplest thing to just up and move to Minnesota, (or FL or AZ) the above comment from johndeere rings true. I grew up just a stone's throw from the Clinic in MN. My mom was a physician there. I knew many doctors. They were all, without exception, awesome people, truly dedicated to understanding things and people.

13. Sky Robins

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, everyone, sorry I haven't been on here to reply to all of your amazing posts. I'm in a hectic semester and am currently undergoing a very difficult transition of trying to leave a mentally/emotionally abusive relationship. You all have given me great advice that I will use when it comes time to enter the nursing field. Thank you for all the encouragement.
    P.S. @TanMan Nursing is amazing and if that is where your heart is taking you then go for it. We need more nurses who understand and can help the LGBTQ+ community <3