1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Might it be worth seeing my GP?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BasketCase, Mar 29, 2009.

1. BasketCase

Those who have read some of my posts on here will know that I have recently been going to see a counsellor to help deal with issues regarding my sexuality and the fact that I have hidden it from practically everyone. That is going quite well, so far, and I have another appointment on Tuesday of the coming week.

What I am wondering is whether it might also be useful to make an appointment with my GP to talk through things from a medical point of view. While the therapy is having a positive influence, and I hope that continues, I still feel quite down in the dumps alot of the time. My emotions have been a bit all over the place recently and range from anxiety to downright fear over facing up to important things in my life.

Has anyone else consulted their doctor/GP around these issues? Did it help in any way?

2. SirBoobalot

I suggest you talk to your counsellor about this - of course everything is linked; and they, knowing you and your situation, might be in a better position to get you a referral to a service which would work for you.

3. KeithJ108

I agree, the best person to give you advice on this would be your counsellor.

Just my opinion - If your asking the question here I assume your thinking it's probably a good idea, your just not sure if it will help. It's not going to hurt to talk it over with your GP even if you come away thinking there isn't much that they can do to help right now.

How long have you been going to counselling? I went for counselling , from a gay counsellor, for similar reasons as you and it really helped but it took time for me to really see the benefits.

:slight_smile:

4. BasketCase

The counselling, with the gay counsellor, has only been going since the 10th of March. I've had two sessions (The first was really only an introduction) and have another one this Tuesday.

I'm not certain that it is a good idea but they way I am thinking is that it couldnt hurt. While I am starting to deal with things I have to continue with work etc. and it can seem overwhelming at times. I know that sounds a bit stupid.

The only slight concern is that if I do go, and if the doctor were to prescribe something, that it might alter how I am really feeling and therefore take away from the benefit of counselling. Not that I would have to accept any prescription of course.

5. KeithJ108

No it doesn't sound stupid at all :slight_smile:

I'm no doctor but I'm guessing doctors can prescribe things to make it easier to cope with stress, If your doctor suggests something like that you can talk to your counsellor and doctor to see if the two things can mix.

6. Jim1454

I think it's a very good idea to keep your family doctor aware of your personal situation and what you're going through. There are medications that can be prescribed to help you deal with stress.

That's what I did when I was coming out. 2 years ago I simply couldn't cope. I was having to accept I was gay, deal with my marriage ending, and work on recovery from an addiction. It all seemed so overwhelming that I was sure I couldn't do it on my own. My doctor did prescribe antidepressants, and they helped a LOT!

You might not be in as bad a spot as I am, but at the same time your doctor should know how you're feeling. Then if you feel yourself getting worse instead of better, he'll already be aware, and can act quickly to help.

Good luck!

7. BasketCase

Thanks guys.

I think I will make an appointment and see what happens.