1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can I expect?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CoconutOilLady, Nov 2, 2016.

1. CoconutOilLady

When coming out to family members, especially immediate family, what kind of questions will they ask? I'm aware I don't have to answer them, but I want to know what to expect. What questions did other people here get?

2. JAA1297

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you come out to someone, you can expect questions on a few different topics. They'll probably ask when/how you knew you're lesbian. They might ask if you are in a relationship. They may not ask this, but probably most importantly, they'll be wondering what it means for your relationship with them. I'd assume it wouldn't change anything, but families get scared sometimes that maybe you might avoid them or feel more seperate and less involved with family. So you should assure them it won't change a thing. Congrats on getting ready to come out! If your family is accepting, you will be really happy with your decision to share this part of you with them!

3. dublinz

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    How long have you felt this way? Are you seeing someone? Are you sure? Have you been with a woman before? You might even have someone say "Me too! Wanna go out?"

Just know your boundaries and answer what you want to answer. Not waht you don't.

---------- Post added 2nd Nov 2016 at 06:54 PM ----------

I should say a lot of people will say something politically correct and maybe come back later. The biggest response is "I love you no matter what," which makes me want to say "WTF???? No matter what? Like being gay is bad?????"

But I hold off because I know they mean well. They didn't see it coming and they are doing their best. Lol

4. Linkmaste

First time trying to come out I was sixteen so ky parents were interrogating me on who I slept with and trying to find out my sex life.

Now, it's more are you sure, and how do you know.

5. Halfwayout

Out Status:
    All but family
    I think it depends on where your parents stand and how they feel about non-heterosexual relationships and people. When my sister came out, my parents were shocked so didn't actually ask many questions at first.
    But when they started asking questions it was like 'how do you know?' 'Could it be a phase' 'do you have a girlfriend.' 'How long have you known?' 'Y mum asked questions about what if you want to have a family..... ' etc et .
    But I have fun fiends who came out and they're parents just said 'okay, cool'
    Everyone is different so reactions are different. But questions are good I think cause it provides an opportunity to educate and share xxx