1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First steps of coming out as trans

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nightowl88, Nov 5, 2016.

1. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay so my friend who is trans has been trying to get me to come out for months and knows the only thing keeping me from coming out at school is that I haven't told my father. So I was talkin to her today and she says that she will take me to talk to a women at the school who helped Naomi through the process of coming out so that I can get some help. I am only afraid to tell my father because of the reaction my mom had. She has basically ignored the fact that I am a boy and acts like it's a joke. My boyfriend and brothers had the same reaction and now they are all pushing my to grow out my hair and wear dresses. I am really happy to be able to talk to this person at school since I just need the nerve to tell my father since I already have a binder and have found a name.

2. Smores

I think you should tell your dad. The best thing to do I think is to prepare for the worst but don't assume he'll react that way. If you decide how someone will react that can sometimes make you even more worried. Just remember your dad is seoerate from your mom.

3. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know I should I just have a hard enough time talking with my dad about serious matters like this because he isn't a very talkative person and I also know he will be mad that I told my mom first like he was when I told her I was bisexual and he found out after.

4. Smores

Well, as for the talking part, you could give him a note or, write on a whiteboard instead of talking. And you should explain to him why you told your mom first.