1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to a large group of people...?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Robishere, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Robishere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay so... I've been slowly but surely scurrying my way out of the closet over the past year and a half or so. The first person I came out to was in April of 2015, which was my best friend. She was the only one that knew until I came out to my friend in July 2015. After that, I started to become encouraged to tell more and more of my friends. So when school started in August, I told 3 more of my friends (all girls because I knew they would be more than excited about my sexuality) and a 4th one that found out accidentally by word of the second friend I told. Then in December of 2015, I told my other friend who is a guy. Since then, I've come out to my parents, two sisters, and the rest of my school friends, but that's it.

The thing is, that all of these people found out quite some time after the other. The situation ended up being that half of my friends knew about me being gay and the other half had absolutely no idea, therefore, I could only be my authentic self with half of my friends and that was slowly eating away at me. I kind of developed this other version of me that automatically came out when the people who didn't know were around and I hated that.

Anyways, the problem is that I do this thing on the weekends with a completely separate group of people than my school friends. I've bonded with them enough to believe that they should know, but the thing is that there's 42 people in that group and we're all pretty close. Aside from that, I've had feelings for a boy in that group for over a year now and I feel like he might have feelings for me as well.

All in all, I just don't know if it would be healthy for me to come out to them. I have close to no idea where they stand with the LGBTQ+ community because it's a topic that's never really been mentioned. I feel like they deserve to know, but at the same time I'm scared that everything will, well, go to shit if I tell them (i.e. distance themselves from me, not joke around with me, act different/strange, insult me behind my back). I'm terribly afraid of all of this happening... What should I do? :icon_sad: