1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe I can brighten your day.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lovetoomuch, Nov 9, 2016.

1. lovetoomuch

Well, I was somewhat out to people before today. I came out to my parents, brother, and close friends within the last year. I then got an equality tattoo and posted a picture of it, but it seemed as though some people still didn't understand, "Hey, I'm gay."

Today I woke up shocked to see Donald Trump won president. I was actually disgusted when I woke up, so I typed up a post and contemplated whether to post it or not. Well, my impulsive nature kicked in and I eventually posted it. So now, I am publicly out on F***book. I guess things happen for a reason... if Hilary won the presidency, I would have never made a status. I can say: all I have received is love and support today. It is great to see and I never expected the whole "coming out" process to happen so quick for me. Within the last year, I have went from NO ONE knowing I am gay to it being public.

The post was:

"I never post political statuses and if I ever do, it's a complete joke. But for some reason, I have never been so bothered by political results. As a white male, you may wonder why I worry - I mean, isn't this perfect for me? No, it's absolutely not. Before I came out to close people in my life as a gay man, marriage was never important to me. I said, "Eh, I couldn't see myself getting married anyways." However, as I started coming out to more people (and I guess I'm coming out publicly now?), I realized how important that title of marriage would be for me - I want to be married to the man of my dreams for the rest of my life. I am genuinely concerned this right (yes, get your heterosexual mind out of a trash can and realize it is a right) will be stripped away from me in a Trump America.

But enough about me and my selfishness. The LGBTQ+ community is not the only minority in danger; every minority feared this result and quite honestly, other minorities are probably in more danger than my own. Trust me, if I was a straight white male, I would still hold my beliefs (thank you upbringing and Lead for Diversity). It is great to see people of the majority care / think about minorities, but what scares me is how so many people don't care. I am not a die-hard Hilary Clinton supporter by any means - in fact, I simply voted for her to make sure Donald Trump was not in office. I will not sulk, complain, or argue with any Trump supporters. However, if my rights are ever stripped away from me, I will blame everyone who voted for Trump. If my life is put in more danger, I will blame every single one of you. If the lives of other minorities are put in more danger, I will blame every single one of you.

Congrats to Donald Trump. Seriously, genuinely. I hope when I look back on this status in four years (or God forbid eight) I feel foolish... because if not, I have to blame all his supporters.
    (I'm not down for a political argument, so if this enraged you, please just unfriend me) :slight_smile: "

I hope this made all of your days a little better! Much love for you all.

2. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. Linkmaste

Well said. Couldn't have put it better than myself other than adding that I'm a woman.