1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

insults.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by refrainrephrase, Mar 30, 2009.

1. refrainrephrase

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In the past week, I've been called a faggot on two separate occasions. That's a first. Um. Not really sure what brought that on.

I didn't really realize how offended I would be if someone called me that. I'm not super torn up about it or anything, but I'm kind of hurt and surprised. /:

How do you deal when people call you things?

2. Stuie

I shrug it off, you have to shrug it off. I'm rather used to being called things along the line of "sh*tc*nt" by people who I've never seen before. If you let stupid people like that get to you, it's far too hard to deal with.
    However, if they're your friends, it hurts far more. If they call you that, I'd probably reconsider your friendship with them or talk to them about it and work it out.

3. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Your not out, so they probably don't know that it hurts your feelings. straight people always use 'fag' as an insult. Are you in a position to change that? If they don't know something is hurting your feelings, they will probably keep doing it.

Personally i've never cared what people call me, so i don't really understand.

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I get called a dyke, I tend to respond with a simple nod and "Yep." It makes them stop and blink a couple of times, by which time I've usually moved far enough away that when they refocus it's on someone else.

5. Greggers

Yea, i like doing this :kiss:

I was in boston Pizza the other day with some friends and right in front of the waitress my one friend who i dont actually know if he knew i was gay called me "a big faggot" because i ordered a diet coke. I replied with a "Yup, you know it!" and a head bob lol. The waitress gave me a stink eye i think, and that friend shut up while the one next to him who knows im gay just laughed and went "Oh greg..."

Truth be told, i wanted to say "Grrrrrl, you know its true!" with some snapping, but alas the waitress *was* there :frowning2:

6. Mr Bojangles

In Britain, Fag is another term for a Cigarette, so my usual pun from time to time with people is.

Person: I NEED A FAG!

Me: You called?

7. Absentminded

It's just something I've found that you have to deal with. I'm completely out...so, I get called a dyke quite a bit. Apparently, I get called a 'thing' too. I still find it more hurtful coming from people I don't even know compared to it coming from a friend.
    But, as I say, "Better me than you!"

8. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was also the time some kid (well, maybe 14 or so) called me a faggot, and I responded with "Nuh-uh. Ladyfaggot." I don't know where that came from, but he kind of reeled. I think it worked, though, it definitely took him down a peg.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do recall someone asking me if I was "some kind of faggot". I said, "Yeah, I'm the good kind." Not even sure what that meant. :slight_smile:

As others have said, own it. It's a term meant to annoy, to anger, to belittle. If you appear not to be bothered by it, they won't use it.

Lex

10. -Michael-

I go into my views about how calling me a faggot is incorrect.

Whereas calling a really campy queen person..would be correct.

11. xequar

^^^^ This.

I don't get it very often, but when someone does call me a fag or something like that, I usually respond with a, "Yep, and you're jealous because you wish you could be one too."

It's instant win.

12. refrainrephrase

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I see what you're saying. I was just kind of taken aback-- but I'm not bothered by it at this point~ Yeah, it was from a stranger and another person I barely know who sits behind me in a class. My actual friends never use 'gay' or 'fag' as an insult to anyone, because they're cool. C:

Hahaha nice :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. lostinthought9

OHH! That happened to me today!
    Me and my friends were in Pizza Hut, and someone started playing the Dixie Chicks on the jukebox, and I was like "Oh, the Dixie Chicks are on..." and my friend, says "how do you know that? Can you really be that much of a faggot?" and I was completely taken aback and hurt. He doesnt know that I'm gay, and I'm sure he wouldnt have said it if he knew, but it still pissed me off.

14. Mickey

Things like that used to bother me,a lot. Now when I'm referred to as a dyke,queer,lesbo,etc.,I just smile. I'm getting too old to fight!

15. Thisisnew

That really sucks I have never gotten anything like that but come on in this day these things just shouldnt be around. I don't go around saying your so straight in a mean way.

16. WhiteFox

WhiteFox Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Me personally ive beaten peoples asses for that... Sry mods but its the truth, I know its not right but I know they learned some respect. anyways if your not that kind of guy then what can ya do? talk to good friends and dont care what random people think.

Fox

17. Peter76

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry to hear of your experience. I have been called all sorts over the years, especially when I was at school.... homo, queer, puff, faggot, gayboy...all the usual! Somedays it really got me down, and unfortunately, I internalised all the negativity. Ive now realised that such name calling says far more about the ignorance of the people doing it, than it does about me. I think the best advice has already been given, i.e. people will do it more if they think they'll get a reaction, so its best not too. And remember, NO ONE can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Take care.

18. Alex19

if someone called me a faggot, id b like "no shit. u just figured that out?"

19. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

A stranger called you a faggot?? :confused: never had that before, I've been called gayboy but.. I know there joking.

20. BasketCase

I've been insulted, and physically abused, but that was due to my religion (Or perceived religion).

This thread reminds me I have a whole new kind of bigotry to look forward to. I'm still going to complete my journey though.