1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kids??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mugwump, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Mugwump

Don't know if I am putting this in the right spot...

I am wondering whether there are people out there who are gay and want to have kids? I assume there are! I was thinking that, before you figure out/admit to yourself (whatever you want to call it) that you are gay, that you might picture yourself as having kids. I have always just pictured that I would get married and have kids. Now things might be different. I am not having trouble with the fact that might like women over men, but I am thinking that I would have made a good Mum. I like working with kids and teaching them things. I don't really know if I want kids or not, but it's just a big change in how I saw life turning out.

Can anyone figure out what I am trying to ask?! I don't think I even know! It's not really a specific question... I just wanted other people's thoughts and experiences.

2. Greggers

Nothing is stopping you from having kids (*hug*) There may be a few more speedbumps if your gay, but speedbumps are meant to be slow you down not stop you!

I personally will most likely NEED children :slight_smile: I need to give all this excess love to someone! I have some nieces and i lovelovelove them so much. My sister always tells me im a natural with kids, even though i cant really see that sometimes haha...

3. Vector

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'd love to have kids of my own. It's something that gets me down quite a bit sometimes.

Aside from that though, there will always be kids that are up for adoption that need a loving family, but depending on where you live that may or may not be an option due to discriminatory laws prohibiting same-sex couples from adopting, so...

I can't find an article on it, so don't take my word for it, but I've also heard that they're working on some pretty cool IVF techniques whereby two female eggs can actually be used, instead of a sperm and an egg. Remembering that female cells always provide an X chromosome, you're limited to having an X-X combination (ie, you couldn't have a boy). But who knows, if this technology advances enough and it hits mainstream, then it may be entirely possible for you to have your own "legitimate" children (as in, with your partner, as opposed to via a donor or adoption) down the track.

4. aerwolfen

i have one son,its not that great,lol i'm kidding , i've raised him for the last nine years alone,he is 12 going on 13 soon,i have sat him down and come out to him explaining my years of depression pent up inside,he used to tell me at times,that i never had feelings,it was true i had them buried so deep,but he is old enough to understand now,i taught him to grow without racism,to respect all people,we always had a great bond,the kid laughs at everything i say,i tell him its a curse,that i was born hilarious, i would have never traded raising him for anything in the world,i have made many personal sacrefices for his happiness and having him accept me for who i am is all worth it,thats my story,its enriched my life,.

5. Jim1454

I think it's quite natural to feel what you're feeling. We are all conditioned to believe that we would live a life similar to our parents and grandparents. So of course we grow up with the assumption that we would marry and have kids.

I certainly did. To the extent that I never even considered the possibility that I was gay, even though I should have. I got married, bought a house, got a dog, and had two daughters. And THEN started to realize that something still wasn't right. Despite having a 'perfect' family life, a successful career, a large home in a desirable neighbourhood... I still wasn't happy. It's because I was gay. I was forcing a square peg ito that round hole.

So I'm always thrilled to see the young people here coming to the realization that they are gay or bi (or at least not 100% straight) BEFORE they make life long commitments to other people. It was a very difficult time for my family and myself. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

At the same time, I love my daughters. And I know my life will be enriched by their presence in it. So despite the pain, I wouldn't change a thing, even if I could.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being gay is an obstacle to having kids, but it's certainly not an insurmountable one. :slight_smile:

Lex

7. xequar

Being gay does not mean you cannot have kids.

Being gay means that if you want kids, you will have to actually put effort into having kids, which means that you won't have an "oops" kid that you don't love. It's yet another of the advantages to being gay. There are no accidental kids, so any kids you do manage to have (by adoption/IVF/surrogate parent/et cetera) are going to be WANTED, not accidents.

8. Thisisnew

Ever since I was little I never was sure if I wanted kids but that has nothing to do with me being gay. But I often say this is me at 17 my mind could change when I meet someone. But when I realized I'm gay I had to rethink the whole marriage thing that was odd.

9. VanceA

I plan on still having kids/getting married eventually. Its just ill be taking a different route than most to have my children

10. Mestiz0

Yeah I really want a KID. I'm afraid if I were to have more than one...I would favor one more :frowning2: Haha, but yeah, I've always wanted a kid of my own. It does get me down a bit sometimes...but I know it's still possible.

11. musicgirl18

OMG! If this is real it would be totally amazing!!!!

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2013 at 05:38 PM ----------

Yes, I've always wanted kids, even when just a little one myself, I still wanted kids. Being attracted doesn't change how I feel, and hopefully, if I ever get married, it won't change me actually having those kids. :slight_smile:

12. phoebe

there are lots of options. adoption; for gays surrogate mother and for lesbians a sperm donor