1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Work related question

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xequar, Jun 28, 2007.

1. xequar

Hello all

I have an interesting quandary about which I'm hoping to get some other enlightened opinions. Right now, I work with the video group of a major corporation. One of the things my area handles is video duplication (source to tape/file/DVD/CD/whatever), and although we handle some of it internally, we also outsource a large amount of it to various suppliers. One of the people who frequents our building from one of our preferred and often utilized suppliers is a rather attractive, rather pleasant guy that I suspect (and hope) is gay. At this point, the duplication coordinator has volunteered to attempt to discreetly find out what his story is.

Ordinarily, I think I'd be far more courageous about approaching him on my own, but with the work thing, I'm a bit leary. Given the fact that we don't work for the same company or anything, but we do have to interact in the workplace frequently, does anyone have any advice?

Thank you all!

2. Jim1454

That's a tough one, but given they work for a different company, I don't think there's a lot of risk there. Whats the worst that could happen? If he is genuinely a nice friendly guy, he'll be flattered that you were interested, and likely leave it at that.

But I'm not nearly comfortable (at least not yet) to approach anyone at work...

*Watches intently for other comments and suggestions*

3. 24601

I don't think there's much risk really either, but I have no experience in the work place. From what you said it seems like much of the inquiries will be discreet so, should things not work out as you want, I still don't think much could happen. I highly doubt your outsource company would drop business relations because one of their employees was suspected/asked of being gay. So, from a business and a personal standpoint, I don't see why not. But like I said, I've never worked in a corporation (or much of anywhere).

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would go for it. Yes, it could possibly end up in an awkward situation but as you don't work for the same companies, there would be no reason for that to be acted out in the workplace. If he's professional and you're professional, you just get past whatever potential awkwardness may possibly arise.

It's pretty rare to meet people you feel you click with, so I nearly always err on the side of "go for it!"