1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"coming out" was pretty easy.. is that normal?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by dangelica679, Mar 31, 2009.

1. dangelica679

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i just recently got interested in this girl whose also into me. i told two of my friends and my mom. they were all totally okay with it, and it was really easy for me to say it. but maybe its because of the way i worded it:
    "so blank and i hung out the other night and im pretty sure she has a crush on me. and im pretty sure that im okay with it bc shes really awesome and cute and i dont care that shes not a guy. and i kinda wanna see what happens."
    both friends i told were basically like "yeah go for it, just dont get a crush on me haha." "she is cute and awesome so who cares." and "yeah you havent really dated a guy in a while, maybe its cause youre into girls."
    this girl is already out to everyone, well shes a dyke haha so everyone knows basically. and i feel like if things were to get serious, i want everyone to know. just like in a straight "accepted" relationship. i wanna be able to show her off, and say shes mine. but im not out bi to more than 3 people and damnit i dont wanna have to go through explaining it to people when they ask if im dating anyone. i can tell its going to either be "nope" or an awkward "oh yeah btw im all of a sudden bi and dating this chick."
    im a super open person about other things in my life, and i dont care if im judged or looked at funny. i dont care if people thinks its "weird" and dont understand. i just dont want my friends who think its "weird" to go spread around to everyone we know that im "gay" bc i know it will happen. anyways, any elaborations? :]

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lucky you :slight_smile: Some people had pretty shocking coming out experiences, some people found it pretty easy.
    If you want people to know, there's no need to go into a long explanation if someone asks who you're dating. Just say something like "yeah, I've not long started going out with ________". If you get any comments like "since when are you bi?" or "I didn't know you liked girls", something like "since I figured it out" or "neither did I!" could work.

3. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Normal or not, I'd be thankful either way. :slight_smile:

It may just be a combination of the fact that being 21 you are mature, so your family would be less likely to think "it must be a phase". They may also be well knowledged and know that it isn't a choice. If they live in LA, it wouldn't surprise me as compared to living in hicksville.

Also you must come off as a confident young woman , so if you say it, it must be true! I think some of this confidence is reflected when you say "i wanna be able to show her off, and say shes mine...i dont care if people thinks its "weird" and dont understand. "

Personally I want to be open like that, and I've told a couple friend, but I have to get over the hump of telling my parents. After that I think I'll have the confidence I need to be more open.