1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me out here.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Confused1988, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Confused1988

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I'm a bit unsure how to go about things? I'm new to coming out but I'm slowly telling people.

One person I'd like to share with is my sons teacher. I had a hunch that she was a lesbian but late last year she casually came out to me. It's not common knowledge around the school and I'm actually pretty honoured that she trusted me to come out to. We are quite friendly, similar in age and have a very similar style. I think she was drawn to me because I'm a younger mum compared to most of the other parents and could tell I'd be cool with her sexuality, plus we get on like crazy.

As she came out to me so casually, in passing conversation, though it was pretty pointed (spoke of her partner using female pronouns several times) there was really no opportunity for me to tell her of my sexuality without making a big deal of hers. As I'm married and have children I don't feel like it's something I can just drop casually and now I have no idea how to bring it back up again? It would be too weird for me just to be like "hey, I'm bisexual", especially as to all intents and purposes, I seem completely straight.

I feel like I've missed my window and its so frustrating. I don't have any LGBTQ+ friends and I feel like as she trusted me, I'd like to confide in her also. I just don't want to make a big deal out of it, I'd love to bring it up casually but I don't even know how to do that?

Help please!

2. Adhafera

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Confused1988 !

One way I can think of is when talking about a tv show or movie with (a) bisexual character(s) you could casually mention you're glad for the bi representation (you can preface this with "as a bi woman" or something like that if you're not sure she'll pick up on it). Or when a female celebrity comes up in the conversation you could mention how attractive you find her.

I hope this helps !

3. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

I dunno - I think you are making too big of a worry. Its OK to be clumsy :slight_smile:

maybe, if you do have a moment with her where its safe to talk (fairly private?) ask her how her partner is? Maybe say something about it feels like there aren't a lot of out LGBTs in the community, and you feel awkward as a bisexual, and wish there were more. Ask her if she has the same perspective or something.. i dunno. But if you can't find a smooth way to start talking - just talk anyways. its OK :slight_smile: she wont care, I promise :slight_smile:

Take care!!! :slight_smile: