1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with people believing me and help telling my friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nightowl88, Nov 13, 2016.

1. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay so this post If about a couple things I need help on. The first is having people actually believe me when I come out as trans. I've so far told my mom, my boyfriend and my best friend. My friend has been extremely supportive and she was actually the first person I told since she herself is trans. I told my mom not long after expecting the support I got from her when I came out as bisexual. She was initially great but hasn't been since then and it's been a few months. Her first response was a little bit disappointed I mean her only daughter telling her that they are a girl it's to be expected. Now after that she told her fiancé which is fine and I expected it but then she told my little brother as though it was a joke. My twin found out by getting on my moms phone one night and reading the texts between my mom and I. Now my moms fiancé has been fine he doesn't really say anything about it but my mom and both my brothers have been making me feel horrible they keep telling me to grow my hair out and wear makeup and look like a girl. It's been horrible especially when my mom has been pestering me about wearing a dress to her wedding. Now my boyfriend has been similar to my mom. He was extremely supportive when I told him but hasn't brought it up since and he acts extremely disappointed when I get my hair cut because I'm not growing it out and he has been saying he won't take me to prom if I don't wear a dress. (I don't think we will make it another month together though) I am now extremely worried though to tell my dad and stepmom because I'm afraid they won't believe me either and I know some of this is my fault because several months ago I told my parents I was trans and then they were all really nice just a bit sad that their only girl was actually a boy and I ended up telling them a few days later I thought I was wrong and that maybe I'm just a tomboy. Now that I've spent about 6 more months looking more into everything I have figured that I am actually trans and am feeling ready to come out at school which means it's time to tell my dad.
    I also wanted some advice for telling my friends. My best friend isn't much help because she told her closest friends before coming out at school but at the time it was just my boyfriend and I that she was friends with now our groups much bigger. I'm not at all worried about my friends being accepting I just don't know the right time to do it. I have a couple friends I don't get much one on one time with which makes it hard because that leaves lunch which would be a great time to tell all of them except it would be too easy for someone to over hear what we are talking about. I think my friends should be told before I come out fully at school I just am not sure when to do it or how to actually get my words right because I stumble over my words when I'm not nervous.
    Thank you for helping me.

2. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

Hi I wish I knew better but it sounds like you need some serious support dealing with your family... like maybe an adult there. Can you find a counselour locally to support you, and maybe help explain to them about appropriate and inappropriate behavior and attitudes? This sounds like an awkward mess. Hope you are ok!!!!

Power to you for coming out :slight_smile:

Take care!! :slight_smile:

3. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A friend of mine is going to help me talk with a counselor at school that helped her come out so she may be able to help I've just been dealing with my mom for months now and I'm so frustrated with it.

4. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

Dont let it get you down. Adults can be difficult - and youth are in no position to sort that out themselves, let alone understand adults. Definitely get help :slight_smile:

Take care!! :slight_smile:

5. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi. Sorry you are having a tough time. A couple things you said stood out to me. I thought you were correct that your coming out Trans then quickly changing to "tomboy" exacerbated whatever emotional shock they were already experiencing. Their acceptance of your orientation may be stymied because they don't know what to expect.

You might have a couple opportunities here. Inadvertently you have shown them how difficult this is for you to figure out. Also with your Mom's wedding coming up you have a chance, perhaps, to create some goodwill if you can wear a dress for a day without causing yourself severe emotional distress.

In general I would try for a reset by writing a letter to both sets of parents. Apologize for the confusion. Explain that it has been difficult for you to put into words, that you wanted to be upfront and honest with them and may have rushed to come out. Let them know in no uncertain terms that you are sure that you are not straight or comfortable expressing your gender wholly as female. But, you are still figuring out what this means and to what extent this will settle on.

As for the wedding, if you can stomach it let them know that while it makes you very uncomfortable you will wear a dress for your Mom's wedding but they need to understand that it's a lie and you'd only be doing so because it was important to your mom. I would also tell them it's the last time you will do so unless you feel like it.

If you can't do the dress you have to make it clear. Part of the problem is they don't seem to take this seriously. Either way you have to be direct and stay strong. Don't apologize for who you are or for not having all the answers figured out yet. Let them know that their initial support and understanding was appreciated and you would like to continue to have that.