1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First step

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by KSatt, Nov 19, 2016.

1. KSatt

I have plans with several friends next week. It's a get together that we've done every year since we graduated from high school, so about 16, 17 years now (geez that makes me feel old). Anyway, I decided I'm going to come out to one of my friends when I see her next week. She's the only one of the group that would be supportive and accepting. I texted her earlier today and asked her to meet me a little early before the others get there so I can talk to her. I'm really nervous about it, so any advice about how to start the conversation is appreciated. She will be the first person I've come out to.

I'm also vaguely considering coming out to one of my cousins over Thanksgiving. I'm not completely sure though. I don't even know if I will get the chance to talk to her alone. I'm going to play it by ear. If the opportunity presents itself and I feel like the time is right, I might go for it. It's just time to start letting some people know. I literally have no one in my life to talk to about these things, and that needs to change.

2. Really

Is your friend in a relationship? Will asking her about it prompt her to ask you back? Not that I've done it but I'd prefer it to come out organically rather than Hey, I've got some news! type of thing.

Even if she doesn't reciprocate, you can comment how it's so hard to find someone (are you single?) or you're so happy since you found Penelope (if you've got a gf). Hopefully, this would indicate to her to ask you more about it and then you could elaborate how girls are your thing. :wink:

3. KSatt

Thanks for the feedback, Really. My friend is straight and married with one kid and very pregnant with another, so no worries about her getting the wrong idea. I've just known her since kindergarten and we've always been really good friends, so I know I can trust her and count on her support. We have another mutual friend who is gay that she is very close to, and she's been a very good friend and ally to him even when other people were not.

4. Really

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean reciprocate gay feelings. I meant reciprocate by asking you about your relationship status. To get the ball rolling, so to speak. :slight_smile:

She sounds like she'd be just the kind of person you could come out to.

Let us know how it goes! (I'm sure it will be fine.)