1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to Grandma?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Silver Snow, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Silver Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm thinking of coming out to my grandmother... It's actually the first time I'll actually be intending to come out to someone. I told my younger sister, "Me too," when she said she gay. Then my older sister out right asked me and I said I just didn't think I liked guys at all. We don't talk about it, though.

I want to tell my grandma though because she's had gay friends back in the 70's and her first husband and her got a divorce because he told her he couldn't stay married to her because he was gay and she doesn't seem bothered by that. She actually acts like it was a awkward yet funny situation. Now, she's made friends with a home health aide who helped take care of her, and is gay. She's very loving, accepting, and understanding for someone in her 70's. One would think she'd be more homophobic as a Christian growing up during the times that she did.

I guess one of the big reasons I want to tell her is because she has a powerful influence over my family. I'm not a Christian, but they are, and my grandma is like the most Christian of them all and they all respect her opinion. If she said she thinks nothing is wrong with gay people and everyone just needs to get over it and show love and respect, I know for a fact that everyone else would rethink their opinion. Plus, I know she'd do this all without outing me to them. (We've shared secrets before. :grin:)

So what do you guys think? Should I come out to Grandma? And if I do... How do I approach the topic? I was thinking about asking about her friend to start. Any thoughts?

2. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should, my grandma means the world to me and I was really scared of coming out to her in case I disappointed her or something but like yours she happened to be extremely gay friendly and totally accepted me and it's been a real relief!

It seems like your grandma is very open-minded and I would make the most of it and come out to her. :slight_smile:

Maybe bring a friend or LGBT issues, like ask her about her first husband and what happened to him after he came out, could he live an "out life" in that era ? How were gay people treated, what was her opinion then and is it any different now ? And then maybe confess to her. If she didn't freak out when her husband told her he was gay and share it with you guys as a "funny anecdote" and isn't ashamed of what happened or seem disgusted by what happened, I am pretty positive she always was rather "liberal" regarding LGBT issues and stuff and won't react badly at all to you coming out. :slight_smile:

Good luck x

3. AnimusReborn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well your grandma seems cool and understanding so yes if you want to :grin: