1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!! April Fools Day

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by paulCHRONm, Apr 1, 2009.

1. paulCHRONm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I recently gathered up the courage to come out of the closet to my family. NO ONE took it well. My older brother, Erick, started calling me a "FAG" without hesitation. I endured the grief then but I don't think I can for much longer. I'm thinking of taking advantage of today being April Fool's Day to tell everyone I was just kidding. Maybe then it can all go back to normal. I NEED HELP, I can't live without my family. I just need to talk to someone who's been there.

#1 paulCHRONm, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
  2. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I don't think phone numbers should be listed. IF you need helplines, a Mod can easily assist you for that. :wink:

But, :I don't think lying about it now will stop whats already happened. Not trying to sweep this under the rug, but being called names is something that accompanies being gay. It happens. A lot. It's really hard and detrimental to our mental stability sometimes but we gotta keep going. Don't let them effect you too badly. Don'et let'em stop you from being what you want to be, who you really are, or doing what you want to do. They just don't understand how ignorant they are. Try educating them with movies like Because The Bible Tells Me So, Prayers For Bobby or something along those lines. Try using PFLAG as well.

Again, for this thing, the staff are the best to ask for help. :slight_smile:

3. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey Paul, just to say, welcome to EC :slight_smile:
    I'm guessing some guys on here are thinking this is an April Fool's Day joke of some sort, but I'm happy to help, if it isn't :grin: You've come to the right place if you're looking for help and advice.

Like The Enigma said, these names will be thrown your way, but it's often because the callers don't understand or are afraid. Perhaps you could tell your family that you're still the same person as you were yesterday, but they just know you a little better. Being gay shouldn't change who you appear to be to another person; you are who you are, and the truth is the best thing out there, even though it can be a bitter pill to swallow at times :slight_smile:

#3 Rosina, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  4. Bryan44

Do not tell them it was a joke..It will just make it harder when try to come out to them later on. Give them time to adjust.

5. EM68

I am sorry that your family reacted this way. I would stand your ground and not back peddle on telling them you are gay. You may want to print out some PFLAG material to give to them. I hope this helped.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! :wave:

When your brother calls you "fag", own it. Nod and say "Yep - fag". He's saying it to hurt and belittle you. If you don't allow that to happen, he won't use the term anymore.

Do NOT back down now. Otherwise, you'll feel like you won't ever be able to come out to them again. It's done. Give them time to get used to the idea. It may not be pleasant for awhile, sadly.

Lex

7. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! I agree with everyone else, I wouldn't go back on it. It'll just mean you'll have to do the same thing again later, and it'll probably be harder the second time. It wouldn't make things go back to normal, even if people believed you they wouldn't forget it. Don't give your brother any sign that you're upset by him calling you a fag - if he knows it hurts you, he'll keep doing it, but if you don't react, he'll get sick of it.