1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to children

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DrYang, Nov 20, 2016.

1. DrYang

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've posted on here. I have two very young children (6 and 3) and I'm wondering how and when I tell them that 'mums friend' is in fact her girlfriend. Someone out there must have gone through the same situation. At first I was leaning towards 'it doesn't need an explanation, it's not unnatural just blend it into everyday life' but now my relationship is flourishing and is really serious. It is going to be difficult for the children and I want to make it as easy as possible for them. Help a sister out?

2. katecp

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I don't have any kids myself but I think the best thing would to just present it as if she was your new boyfriend. It's not like anything is drastically different because you are the same sex. I'd like to point out more liberal people are younger so it would be great if you raised your children to be accepting towards everyone, not just the majority.

3. Asking

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, sorry if this isn't useful, but as a kid myself I remember wondering why girls didn't marry each other. They don't know about the birds and the bees yet, so to them it would just be like you opened a new door, and they love being unique, so they'll just be proud. I'd explain it to the six year old and tell the 3 year old if I were you, it's not like they'd discriminate or anything. Ah, the good old days. Hope this helps!