1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on my coming out message to my dad.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nightowl88, Nov 22, 2016.

1. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I am getting things set up for coming it at school as transgender. I've already started talking to some people at school who would be able to help me with that. My only issue is I still haven't told my dad. It's not that I'm afraid to or anything I just haven't actually gotten around to it and the only thing that makes me nervous is if he acts like my mom and completely ignores it but I could live with that. Anyway I have wrote out a text to him but I want to know what you all think of it first and that I've covered generally what I should. Thank you.

Hey. I know it's better to do this in person but you know I'm not good with talking. I've been thinking for awhile and I still think I am transgender. I just overall feel like a boy a lot more than a girl. I want to come out at school within the next couple of months as well. I know you'll call me to say you love me and all that anyway. I love you.

2. LeHLNK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To be honest i have written and erased all over again several times, kudos for being brave but at your age if you depend economically on your family be sure that if anything goes wrong you wont be left with a bigger problem to solve. It may sound alarmist but you gotta think of it all, dont rush things and if it gets bad never use anger as a defense, ask for understanding but be sure to put yourself in the shoes of your family. I really hope it all goes ok but more information on what you think may happen would help. *hughs*

3. killswitch0029

I think it's great

4. AJ Bee

I think it's a great letter. I give you a lot of credit, it took me over 20 years to write an email to my dad telling him I'm a lesbian.

5. EvaDream

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like how your message is upbeat and to the point. However, there may be a chance that your dad will get distracted by the bit about your coming out at school. Considering that transphobia is a real thing, his parental concern could go into overdrive. This could create a resistance in him accepting the fact that you're trans when really it'd be about trying to protect you from transphobic people. It might be an idea to just give him a moment to receive and accept the news about you being trans. I think if you give him that small moment to adjust, you can then tell him about coming out at school right after.