1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to come out to a group of friends at once?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by UmaMae, Nov 22, 2016.

1. UmaMae

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi everyone,

so now im planning to come out in small steps to my different friendgroups, parents and so on (leaving out my working place, as its a religious environment)

so, i have a group of friends i would like ot come out to, but without having a big spotlight on me... i want to do it more in a by-the-way way..

to my best friend i came out a few weeks ago and his reaction was absolutely awesome and he is one of the reasons that im feeling more comfortable with the idea of coming out to all of them. (btw, all of them are guys... and i cannot believe that nobody in the group ever questioned the fact that im the only girl there, i even once wore a super obvious cliche rainbow-peace-pendant and a flannel shirt...)

how would you do that? maybe one of you did something like this before? i dont want to speak to everyone seperately, like if its a big deal.. (no, hey, i have to tell you something... with a facial expression like im gonna die of cancer)

:confused: totally dont know how to put it, and every friday i think, so this is the friday... and then the evening passes and there was no "good moment"

2. MzMayhem

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure that I can really offer you much in the way of advice, to be honest. I sort of feel like I'm the last person who should be offering ANYONE advice right now...

However, when you say that you that you want to do it in a way that is more "by the way", it reminds me of when one of my closest friends actually came out to ME. A few years back a guy friend of mine, whom I had been friends with for YEARS and had not had the slightest clue was gay, came out to me randomly while we were hanging out taking a walk.

It was so casual, it was amazing, and I barely even realized it. We were walking along, chatting, and catching up as I hadn't seen him in a while. I asked him what was new and he said "Well it didn't work out with the guy I was dating, so there's that" and I was like "Oh that sucks..." and then "...Did you just come out to me?"

It was pretty smooth. I hadn't had a clue he was gay, but he made it really easy for us to discuss it without making it really serious or complicated.

I don't really know what to tell you in terms of how to come out to your friends, but you definitely DON'T have to make it a huge "I have to tell you something super serious" cancer-face moment. They are your friends, nobody died, so make it casual?

I'm sure that wasn't at all helpful for you, but I'm sending good vibes your way! <3