1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come out to extended family like aunts, uncles and cousins?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sapphiregirl, Nov 22, 2016.

1. sapphiregirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi, I'm a 22 year old lesbian. I've been out for about one year and my friends/immediate family have no issue with me being gay. My one set of grandparents know, and they've been kind. One of my uncles who lives outside of the UK also knows, as my mum told him. He said lovely things, like that he's so proud of me for being who I am (plus, I have many reasons to suspect he's gay himself, yet he's never said anything).

I have a small family. The people who don't know yet (I think) are my few aunts, uncles and some younger cousins. I want to be open and not hide major things from them. I don't see them often, maybe three or four times a year, but they mean a lot to me and I love them. I don't know how to tell them - in person or via email? Or, should I even come out to them at all? Because I've been out for quite a while, I feel worse the longer I leave it.

This feels like a big deal because literally nobody in my family is openly gay. Any advice or personal experience stories would be appreciated.

2. AJ Bee

I recently came out to my extended family. I waited until I actually had a girlfriend at a time when there was a family gathering when they would meet her. I sent out an email talking about how I met someone wonderful who happens to be a woman. Nobody in my family is gay either, at least not out. I also asked my mom to start spreading the word as she talked with people. It's amazing how fast word traveled!

I would say, if you feel like you would be happier, then come out now. If it's too much stress, then wait. It took me over 20 years to feel comfortable enough to tell extended family. Nobody cared and now I just wonder why I waited so long. Good luck!

3. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! This thread is meaningful to me right now because all but 1 of my cousins are the last of my family that don't know. I'm out to practically everyone I want to know - anyone else, meh, whatever, but I need to finish this last part. I've been meaning to do it for the last few weeks, but I just haven't gotten it done.

I plan to use FB Messenger for a group text. I'm FB friends with almost all of my cousins, and anyone missed will just have to catch up. I have about 40 cousins spread across the country, so individual meetups are just about impossible for me. It's also what is keeping me from being out on FB, and I want that desperately.

I promised myself that I would do that this weekend, so I'll work on that Saturday.

Based upon your post, I would suggest that you just go for it. You already know from your experience that coming out has gotten easier, and you'll feel better after doing it. Don't worry about the length of time you've still been closeted to them. You don't have to say when you first came out, just make is general, sort of like "I've been coming out this year," and you don't have to tell them how many other people already know. I already did this on FB Messenger with a group of my friends who don't live here. It also allowed the group to get together for a group chat, and was rather fun.

The most important thing is that you demonstrate to your family your own self-acceptance, your courage and your love. However you do it, just be yourself.

Take care. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: