1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared about the future once I've come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Pan Piper, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Pan Piper

I think I'm panromantic grey-asexual.
    One of my best mates is trans and came out to friends at the start of 2016, and I have this weird of feeling copying him, somehow, so I'm a bit nervous. It's ridiculous, but I'm still reluctant.

What if you're not 100% sure of what you are? I'm scared of something happening to change my mind, and I'll have to come back out to people and say "oh, yeah, I was wrong 'bout that".

There's also because it's such a long name. It took me ages to realise that most people aren't actually romantically attracted to everyone. Most of the people I know won't know what grey-a is... And I don't want to have to explain it everyone I meet. I'm a shy person, and don't think I'll be able to handle it too well without getting quietly frustrated and sarcastic if I'm talked to with anything other than curious.

It shouldn't have any effect on the future, but I don't want to be judged and laughed for having something so damn specific (but that currently seems to fit so well) and so on... A mutual friend of mine and my trans mate, rarely remembers to refer to him with correct pronouns. This isn't the same thing, but stereotypes sound to affect it so much. Especially being opposites!! Pan and grey-a just don't go together.

Any tips on this madness? Sorry if it's a bit jumbled

2. EvaDream

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was younger I worried about the "what if I'm wrong?" thing. I hated the thought that some jerk from my school would know my sexuality better than I did. I wish it hadn't held me back. I guess I eventually figured out that, whatever I was, it wasn't straight. If panromantic grey-asexual is the best term you've found to describe you, then use it.

But just an idea, perhaps one thing at a time? Tell a few people you're panromantic. Get the explaining for that out of the way. Then, you can tell friends or others you're grey-asexual later. (Again, just an idea.)

Don't worry about the idea of "copying" your trans friend. It's not so strange that LGBT allies find each other even before they know they're LGBT allies.