1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to avoid a long statement/explanation when you're coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by renard, Nov 26, 2016.

1. renard

renard Guest

On one hand, I think I would like to present my sexuality in pretty casual, no-big-deal terms, like, "By the way, I'm gay," or, "So, there's a guy I'm seeing," etc. But I've only dated girls in the past and never really expressed an interest in guys that was taken seriously. So on the other hand, I feel like my coming out might be really surprising to some people.

I'm thinking of my parents, especially. They're super supportive of the LGBT community and my mom generally asks if there's a "person" I'm interested in rather than saying "a girl." At the same time, they also say things like, "I saw you flirting with that waitress! She was totally flirting back, too." So I don't think they necessarily suspect anything, but I don't really want to have a long conversation where I feel I have to explain myself. I just want to say I'm gay and move on with my life.

So I guess I'm asking if there's a way to come out that helps avoid justifying my sexuality or explaining every relationship or person I've been attracted to.

Or, what I'm really asking: am I just worrying about something that's not really a problem?

2. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For you, coming out isn't that big of a problem. Since your parents are supportive of the LGBT community, just tell them that you're gay casually and explain if they ask.

I don't know if you need to formally come out to them. If you want to, go ahead, but their knowledge of your homosexuality is not as influential to your life as, for instance, my parents knowing that I'm trans.

Hope this helped! :slight_smile:

3. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most of the people I've come out to didn't really express any interest in knowing much in the way of details. Some did want to know more and asked questions. Each coming out for me has been unique to the person(s) I was coming out to. So, I have started with the simple statement that "I'm gay." Each conversation evolved naturally from there based upon their reaction and what details they wanted to know. I invited each to ask any questions they wanted. Some did, some didn't.

Take care. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your mom is using "person" instead of "girl", she likely already knows or suspects. (Very often, the people who most think they're fooling everyone aren't actually fooling anyone... I know that isn't what you want to hear, but it's often the case.)

Personally, I'd probably just go for the simple "There's this guy I'm seeing" or something like that. If you're casual and subtle, they'll probably take the same approach.

As to pointing out the waitress you're "flirting" with, parents can know and still hope that what they "know" isn't true... not because they really have a problem with your being gay, but because they know it may make things a little harder for you in various ways. So there's always some level of plausible denial going on in most parents' minds.

In any case, it sounds like it will pretty much be a non-issue.

5. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is eerily similar to what happened to me. :lol: For me too, my mother pointed a waitress that was flirting with me (apparently, I'm oblivious to these things) and I supposedly flirted back. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: As in your case, my mother used "person" and once also dropped "girl.. or guy, because you never know". Both are signs that she knows (at least somewhat) what's going on.

In that case, you can casually mention it without needing to explain yourself too much. I agree with Chip's "There's this guy I'm seeing", it's very casual. They'll probably be interested in the guy, rather than you seeing the guy (at least, I suspect them to be interested in the guy).

I came out similarly (seeing someone as well) and there was more focus on the guy I was seeing, than on me.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Some days later, some (small) questions were asked like "did you know longer" and "did you struggle with it", but no long discussions really.

Good luck! =]

6. EvaDream

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I told my LGBT-friendly parents, I wrote each of them a letter explaining I'd been telling more people lately and I'd realised I wanted to tell the people close to me. I also said I intended to come out completely, but I needed some time. I thought they had suspected but both were surprised (but fine with it).