1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at Work?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Eab91, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Eab91

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have only slightly cracked the door of the "coming out" closet. Only some family and friends know. Only one person at work knows because her daughter is gay and I knew she would be accepting. I don't think many people would be open minded if i did come out.

Do you ladies/guys think that it is necessary to come out at work?
    What has been your experience coming out at work? Pros? Cons?

thank you :slight_smile:

2. GreenTree

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out to my immediate colleagues (working in a same group) after realising how accepting my colleagues were of a new gay colleague who joined. Although I do not really speak so much about my relationship at work, there are some times when some stories about holidays I've been on with my boyfriend pops out during a conversation, so being out makes me feel free to share more about my life.

I've not felt like there's been any cons to coming out to my colleagues. I guess in your position, if you're sure they'll accept it well, you should too. I have to admit I also find it weird to just say "Hey, I'm gay" but I've found that sometimes you'll get asked questions where you could just casually come out (well slightly awkward for me, rather than casual *blush*), so that'll be a good opportunity :slight_smile:

3. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah I think a lot of people just don't understand what it's like to be not-you around them. If you spontaneously out yourself they think you're "trying to get attention." Ridiculous, yes.

Maybe better to keep your ears peeled for the right opportunity. "Got any plans for the weekend? A special boy?" Then you just say "I'm looking for [or have] a girlfriend."

4. Eab91

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you! Yeah I hadn't planned on what I would say yet, but you're right it might be a little awkward to just come out and say it! I like the casual idea better :slight_smile: if the time presents its self I might do it.

---------- Post added 26th Nov 2016 at 06:11 PM ----------

I agree that this might be a better way to come out at work. I haven't completely decided if I actually want to do it yet, but if I do I am going to take your advice.

There have been sooo many times I have had to bite my tongue to not out myself.