1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nintenfreak92, Apr 2, 2009.

1. So I am going to my schools prom this year but I feel like a loser! I asked my cousin if she would want to go with me and my friends (we have been really close all our life). But after asking her if she wanted to go I felt all weird, I mean I just asked my cousin to prom! I feel so embaressed about it... What do you guys think, am I weird for doing this?

2. littledinosaurs

is she going as your date or going with you as a friend??
    Do your friends have dates?

3. lostinthought9

No, it's no big deal. You two are going just to have fun, not as a date. So it's fine.

4. We are going as friends. The reason I invited her was, I didn't want to be a third wheel because my other two friends have dates so i figured I could hang ou with one of my bestest friends who just happens to be my cousin. I just don't want everyone to think my family is all inbreds cause here I am bringing my cousin to prom, i mean how redneck is that...

5. revolutionrock

Ahh, whatev. People will assume what they will; you should worry only about getting your money's worth.

The group of people I'm goig with are all going as friends. We are all paired up, but we are going together, no romantic strings attached. :slight_smile:

6. metkigro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't find it wierd ha ha. I got asked last minute but a guy so I can't go this year. ha ha I don't know about going with another male though. But nothing is wrong with going with your cousin.

7. Stuie

You don't have to tell everyone that she's your cousin. That's probably the best thing to do if no one knows, but be prepared with some variety of witty remark to get people off guard if they do know.
    Enjoy the prom anyway!

8. Eleanor Rigby

What's the big deal ? Really I don't get it. You like your cousin, she likes you, you are going to prom together. Isn't the point of prom enjoying yourself with people you like ?

9. Lacan

eh go and have fun. i boycotted prom up until the last minute, ended up going with a friend who didn't have a date and had so much fun. it's about attitude. high school judgmentalists? = the suck. dance your heart out =)

10. Just Adam

if you dont want to take your cousin why not just get your money back and dont go? i dont think prom is that big a deal its a bit meh better jsut to hang with mates, when we had the leaveing do at school oh so long ago now lol i didnt go to it a total waste of money to stand in a suit have sod all drink and be bored so 40 of us got music and drink headed for a hill had a party...just an idea :slight_smile:

11. Just Adam

i dont endorse underage drinking though...just the music and hill part with stars and chilling :wink: :grin:

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I took a girl to prom. She was dating a college student at the time, who thought prom was "too juvenile", and I didn't have a date, so I suggested we go together. We had an absolute blast. We still chat (via myspace) every once in a while, over twenty years later. :slight_smile:

Lex

13. Alex19

i dont think i could take my cousin to prom... i went with friends to mine. not going to senior ball though- my school sux.

14. Just Adam

( drags eyes from sauske)... it no big deal not going to these things its jsut guys on one side girls on the other and some nervous dancing in the middle then you tread on your dance partners foot you all fall over the punch is spiked the band get bood the decorations get pulled down the balloons poped...actually sound like a bit of fun thinking of it like that lol...ive totally contradicted meself

15. Jim1454

I don't think there's a problem with that. Just go and have a good time.

I got pressured into taking a date t othe prom. It was awkward and in the end a bit of a disappointment. If only I had been more confident back then about myself...

16. TheRoof

personally i dont think that's wierd.

17. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that's pretty cool, actually. You obviously won't be pressured into being romantic like you might be if you'd taken someone else, and if you get along really well with her, then you'll have a good time with her.

18. LEOs curse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    dont feel bad. my friend brought his brother and he is totally straight.

19. Well now idk if im going at all. I felt like a loser, so i called my cousin i wasn't going. I wanna go because it is my best friends last prom, she is graduating. But I know I'll just be sad afterwords because I'll be all alone. (I refuse to take a girl who doesn't know because then she tries to make it more, and I won't do that to someone.) So should I go or not?

20. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should go!
    Prom should be about having fun one last time with your highschool classmates, not about hooking up!
    Just think about it this way: you're alone on many evenings, why should being alone after prom be so dramatic?

I took a date with me at the time in the full understanding that neither of us was interested in the other. And in the end we went home alone, but I feel we had a better deal than those that went in with unrealistic expectations.