1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it okay to answer questions I don't know nothing about?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jolly Hermione, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone,

I read a lot of stories here and I would love to help. The problem is, most of the time I don't know the answer to your questions.
    How can I help you, if I have no experience?
    Is it even okay for me to help you under these circumstances?

I hope you can help me here, because I have no idea what I should do :icon_redf

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Jolly Hermione,

Of course you can always chime in. If you can relate any similar experiences that's cool. If you'd just like to offer your opinion, that works, too. And, of course, since this is a support site, even just offering words of support can do a poster a world of good.:slight_smile:

Also, oftentimes, the best way to help someone is to help them help themselves. Asking pertinent questions as an objective third-party can help them to clarify their issue/problem/concern. That can really assist a poster with finding the best way to resolve their situation.

Just some thoughts.

#2 Quantumreality, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  3. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What he said. Asking more questions is often as good as answering earlier ones.

4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anybody can comment on any thread they want, even if they don't have first hand experience. I'm a woman, yet I comment on a lot of threads that gay men start, simply because I have some basic ideas behind how I could help them, despite lacking the experience.

5. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone :slight_smile:

Thank you very much. This really helped. I think, now I can be a little more confident and comment on threads where I don't have that much experience ^^
    Thank you all!

6. Gay Deputy

EVERYONE brings a unique perspective to situations. It can be as easy as saying, "I'm not sure but if it were me, I'd ...." These types of insight can be just as helpful!

Also, you never know when you'll come across someone who is feeling exactly as you are or as you have in the past. Your experiences could very well help these others through trying times.

Don't ever think your opinion or advice isn't worthy or couldn't be helpful. Heck, I don't know if all either and have not experienced half of what some of these others have but I try to empathize, put myself in their shoes, and offer advice. You may learn something about yourself in the process!