1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Symbolic Acts

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BlueBanana, Nov 28, 2016.

1. BlueBanana

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Has anyone here done anything symbolic when they came out to the mass? I know transgender males and females get haircuts or change their clothing but what about all you homosexuals? Things like dying your hair or the examples above.

2. Well, I'm not out yet and this actually happened before I realised my orientation but I currently have what I have heard is the stereotypical "bisexual haircut" (to be fair I wanted a pixie cut but my mum said no). My school has an event called Purple Day where students wear a touch of purple with their uniform to acknowledge the LGBTQIAP community so I'm planning on rocking up with either asexual and pansexual flag nail polish or just an ace ring if I chicken out. You know what would be great? A suit. And a tie. And bow ties and suspenders oh dear I'm going to buy a bunch of crap when I move out and never wear it in public aren't I?

This post has been a summary of my "out" status and my social anxiety. Thank you.

3. smurf

When I first came out I bought myself an HRC ring. It was very subtle, but for me wearing the ring was a reminder to myself of what I had accomplished. It felt good wearing it around.

Things like buying something pride related for yourself, going to pride or things like that can help.

4. Asterac22

Well i came out on Christmas eve so every Christmas eve i got to the pub with mates for a few drinks as like a tradition for me but a piss up for them which is kinda cool :3

5. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well since I've been being more open (not really out-out) I've been dressing mostly in male clothing. Symbolically when I first accepted myself I started wearing these ties I used to wear as a kid again to sort of show I was okay with my true lifelong tomboy self and all the gay it entailed.

6. Linkmaste

I wear a rainbow beaded bracelet.

7. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought about cutting my hair, but I realised that my hairstyle doesn't have to be like "typical lesbian" and I actually love my long hair, so I kept it.

I'm still thinking about cutting one side of my hair, because this always looked amazing to me. I'm not that brave, though :wink:

However: I changed my phone background to the gay pride flag and my add ons (not sure if they're called that way) have a rainbow-colour :slight_smile: