1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents want me to go to a christian counselor.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TanMan, Dec 1, 2016.

1. TanMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I recently came out to my parents less that a week ago. They took it okay and they still love me. However, coming from a Christian household, my parents (mainly my father) is worried about my salvation. Of course I have done my research on this subject for years, but I'm not worried about it because I know God loves me no matter what. I still believe that he made me this way.

But anyways, both my parents have talked and today they asked me to come sit down with them. They asked me if I would agree to go and see a Christian counselor. I believe that they think this is still a choice, and that I can Pray away the gay. Yes, I do believe anything is possible with God (prayer wise), but I do not think I can pray this away. Ive spent years praying, and I'm tired. I'm tired of praying for now I know there isn't anything wrong with me. I finally found the courage to accept myself for who I am, and I don't want to go through all that again. I love who I am, and that self acceptance wasn't easy to gain.

Now I agreed to go to counseling, but I already told them that it wont change me. They don't believe that when I tell them, because they think that if I continue to pray, I can be straight. Again, my parents still love me, but I think they are going to at least try and see if there is something else that they can do, or else they feel like they didn't try and they will feel like they failed. I don't have a problem talking with a counselor, because I have never talked about my gay feelings before and attraction to men. I think it would be good to talk about it, since I haven't told anyone besides my parents, brother, and two cousins. I just hope they don't send me to a closed minded Christian who will do everything in their power to turn me straight. If that's who I am sent to, I will walk straight out (no pun intended lol) and leave that place. I just hope my parents can come around soon and fully accept me.

is there any advice that I can get from this?

Oh, and my father thinks I should stay away from this website (he doesn't know the name of it), and things of this sort. he thinks its doing me worse, because he doesn't think this is the "lifestyle" to be living. I'm so tired of it being called a lifestyle. I'm just like them except one little difference... Actually I wouldn't even call it a difference... Love is love.

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey TanMan,

That sux that they are so ignorant about sexuality. What about making them a trade? If they want you to go to Christian counseling (you know it will not do anything to change your sexuality), then THEY should have to go to counseling or attend PFLAG meetings that you set up for them to go to. You could do a little research locally and perhaps find a PFLAG organization, then contact them and see if they can suggest the type of group meetings that your parents could attend. They may even be able to suggest a local counselor that could help explain the real nature of sexuality (that it can't be 'prayed away') to your parents.

Why not try that? Tit for tat. Good faith effort for good faith effort. Remind them that if they really love YOU, they owe to you to keep an open mind and accept your counseling recommendation/requirement - especially if they want you to attend their counseling recommendation/requirement.

You might also talk to your brother about this and see if you can get him to also back your request that your parents attend some PFLAG meetings or other counseling that you can find to educate them on having a homosexual son. Maybe your brother would even agree to attend the sessions with them. Heck, it may be a bit awkward at first, but even you could attend those meetings/sessions with your parents.

As far as your Dad not wanting you on this website. You know that that is nonsense. Just don't tell him about it anymore - at least until he and your mother become better educated about sexuality.

I hope that helps...:slight_smile:

3. TanMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm kind of hurt by it, but honestly, I can understand 100%. It's a religion. It's someone we pray to almost everyday. You're being told it's a sin, of course you're going to beleieve it. I was right along side them in the belief when I was younger... but now that I'm older, and I'm experienceing be gay up close and personal, I've come to realize that God loves me no matter my sexual preference. It took my years to come to the realization that I'm gay, and I went through years of depression to finally love and accept myself.

But in all honestly, I just ask that they love me. They don't have to comes to terms with my sexuality, or even understand it, but I just ask that they love me for me, and eventually love whomever I bring home (date wise / boyfriend wise). If my brother can be open about his girlfriend to my parents (now his wife), why can't I be open about my boyfriend?

As far as the counseling goes, I know it won't change me. And depending on how open minded the counselor is, it may be good for me to talk about it. I always wanted to talk to a therapist after accepting myself, but I didn't want a Christian one due to "praying the gay away." My parents are in no ways FORCING me to go, but I don't want to dissapoint them anymore.

As far as your advice goes, that sounds good. However, I want to give them some time to take all this in. It hasn't even been a weak yet, and I don't want to push them away. As most christians think, I don't want to shove this down their throats.

And my dad regarding this website. He didn't force me to get off this website, but he kind of thinks that "gays are feeding me misinformation." I can understand due to our faith, but you guys and girls here are so welcoming and I couldn't ask for anything else. Reading stories similar to mine, and seeing almost everything here, puts a smile on my face.

If it wasn't for this website, I wouldn't have probably ever accepted myself, and would've been living a nasty lie to myself.

I'm sure my parents will come around sometime. I just need to give them time to process that they have a gay son. They still say they love me, and show it too, and that's all I ask. My biggest fear after coming out to them was being disowned and kicked out. I do have a job, but right now I'm just not financially able to take care of myself independently. But my brother did say I could live with them while I got some money for the future. Luckily, I don't have to worry about that.

Thanks Quantum for all the feeeback :slight_smile:

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems like your parents are in denial, and are still operating under their Christian beliefs and misinformation.

Personally, given that you are 22 years of age, I would not, in your position, agree to go to a Christian counselor. You could compromise and agree to go to a counselor, but going to a Christian counselor is more than a waste of time... it can be a real mindfuck.

Christian counselors have one goal, which is to get you to follow their beliefs, which is that you can change. They use manipulation and mind games (subtle and not-so-subtle) to make you question yourself, and then pounce on that question to twist your arm. It can really mess with your mind and cause psychological damage.

What you might do is compromise... agree to go to a psychotherapist who has personal Christian beliefs. I see you're in California, and there are plenty of therapists here who are Christians, but their religion doesn't enter into how they do their counseling.

The role of an ethical counselor/therapist is to do client-directed, client-empowered counseling. A good counselor or therapist will not in any push you in a direction you aren't interested in going (provided that the direction you're going in isn't inherently dangerous or unhealthy... and being gay is neither.)

I understand the difficulty you're in, and I think there might be a middle ground. I do think that seeing a proper, qualified therapist would be an outstanding choice for you... just not a Christian one.

5. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Tan, Chip is correct. It can take many years of counseling to recover from what a Christian counselor can do to or make you believe. This I know from experience. Turns out the one who wanted me to be straight was gay himself:slight_smile: Search around for a good ethical person to talk with. If you don't think your meshing with the first person you meet don't be afraid to try another. You can have your Christian faith and be gay at the same time. Jesus died for All of us, if he didn't NO one would make to heaven, straight or gay!

6. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No offense Chip or johndeere3020, but I've been reading TanMan's posts for a while and he seems to have finally come to a very clear understanding and acceptance of his sexuality.

Please correct me if my impression is wrong, TanMan, but I think that a Christian counselor is far more likely to piss you off or simply say things that are so ridiculous that you laugh at them loooonnng before they could ever say anything that would get into your head and cause you start questioning your sexuality again...

7. ghostly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  8. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    NO offense taken Quantum

9. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you do not have firsthand experience with these ethically bankrupt asshats who pass themselves off as counselors, who violate every tenet of the code of ethics for counseling professionals with what they do, then you are not qualified to comment on this topic.

The Christian counselors who are skilled at what they do are insidious and covert in the way they approach their craft. They don't come against you with confrontation you can laugh at; it is far worse.

They skillfully look for an opening, and TanMan has already said he's interested in talking to someone, so he is very vulnerable to the type of manipulation these pieces of shit use as their stock and trade.

It's one thing to say 'I've made an agreement which I plan to honor'. I can respect that. But to imply it is harmless and he's immune to risk is incorrect and irresponsible.

10. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hear you, Chip.

And, no, I definitely don't have direct experience with Christian counselors like this.

I was just saying that I have faith in TanMan's strength and ability to not be swayed by specious arguments.

11. warrior452

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have experience with Christian counselors and biblical counseling (even took a class on it during my time as a conservative Christian university student - worst money ever spent!) You can get through the time unscathed if you stick to your guns, and never forget who you are. I gave my teacher as much crap as possible without getting in trouble - I wasn't about to let his views go unchallenged. Anything toxic that is said just has to be water-off a ducks back. But, that being said, most of the stuff taught or said can be very destructive to your spirit, and so if you don't think you can do it, don't. Seek out a mental professional who is a Christian privately/caters to people of faith, and is going to have your best interest at heart, but who is going to stick to unbiased, ethical, and constructive mental health practice.

12. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Going to a counsellor could be a good and positive thing, but a competent, professional and credible counsellor wouldn't approach their clients with an agenda based on faith or conversion. In many countries people who take this approach will not be accredited to practice.

For me, the only counsellors worth speaking to are those who are fully accredited by a professional association, because accreditation involves checking qualifications, standards and ethics. Would your parents take their dog or cat to a vet who had no professional or verifiable qualifications? The answer is no - because it would expose the animal to great harm. So why would they expect their son to agree to put his mental wellbeing at the mercy of someone without professional qualifications (and I can almost guarantee that their choice of counsellor will have no such qualifications). It doesn't make sense, does it?

Agree to counselling, by all means, but do check and verify everything first. I wouldn't talk about my breakfast to a counsellor who lacked qualifications (and were not talking about a piece of paper from a Christian college either).

13. scs96

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I understand all that you're saying and sometimes I worry about the same thing. Maybe see if your parents will possibly accept going to a non christian specific therapist and if they say no, all you really can do is try it if you feel comfortable enough and have the courage to walk out if things go the way you're thinking. I can relate to this, I haven't spoken to a professional about my feelings either and I'm worried if I didn't speak to one specific in lgbt+ issues that they wouldn't understand.

14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This part generally isn't true. Every legitimate (non-Christian) counselor or therapist trained in the past 25 years has gotten pretty extensive education in cultural awareness, diversity, and variant sexuality issues. So any competent therapist should be able to help with LGBT issues even if s/he is straight. All four of the therapists I've seen over the years, and most of my Human Sevices/counseling professors and seminar leaders have been straight, and all were well equipped to handle LGBt issues.

A good therapist will tell you in the first session or two if s/he doesn't feel qualified or comfortable to work with you on your issues.

15. scs96

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Oh no I didn't mean that the therapist needs to be lgbt+ I just meant that they're willing to listen. I've heard horror stories about therapists counseling asexual clients, I was talking from personal experience.

16. fluffhead

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey man, I would say avoid going to a christian counselor. That said, if you want to talk you have plenty of options. There are plenty of good counselors out there. Also phone lines, people you can chat with online etc. Maybe confide in a close friend. Keep a journal.

I would say avoid a christian counselor because I see that doing more harm than good. It's great to talk about things and get it out there, but if the person is going to reject you and force you to change something you did not choose, I can't see it helping.

I know you want to make your parents happy but being gay is obviously not your fault, it's not going to change, and they're going to have to accept that at some point. It seems you've come a long way to be able to accept yourself. That is a huge deal when coming from those hardcore conservative values. I would say just keep moving forward.

On the plus at least things didn't go worse. Also enjoy the fact that at least they know now. That in itself is a lot of weight to lift off.

If you ever need anything though there are all kinds of resources set up. Good luck and hope they come around. Mine still haven't but maybe someday.

17. guitar

Seeing as Christianity has a recent history in America of at best "not getting" what it means to be LGBT, and at worst putting kids through actual emotional trauma (pray away the gay camps, electroshock therapy), I would advise against a Christian counselor. Go see a regular therapist instead. Or a pflag meeting who can actually help you and your parents understand your sexuality with science and experience that can help you guys to lead a fulfilling life.

18. WilliamHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Christians mean well, and speaking as a gay Christian, the church has lost is mission to Love as Christ loves. Jesus accepts all people. I'd recommend the book Torn by Justin Lee. He covers the topic very well. I related personally to much of the book.

19. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A couple of weeks ago I would have agreed with Chip, but I was convinced by one of my oldest friends to attend an LGBT support group at a church. She promised me that her minister wasn't crazy, and she was right. He's been a minister for a long time but he's also getting his psychology degree and wants to fight discrimination against the LGBT community. If you're lucky enough to be able to find someone with the same credentials I think that person could really help both you and your parents. But be careful there are a lot of really bad "Christian Counselors". If you agree to go at all it's best that you be the person to pick who you will be talking to.

20. TanMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone. I know I haven't responded to any posts, but I have honestly been reading them and taking them in to decide on what to do. They have been extremely helpful. Ive just been super busy with my new job, and I have my only final tomorrow (that I haven't studied for at all lol). However...

Today, not even an hour ago, my mother came to me and said she's still looking for a counselor for me to go to. I said okay and kind of shook it off because its still a little awkward to talk about face to face. But a couple minutes later, I had to courage to confront her about it. I asked her if her intent is to change me. She responded with something along the lines of "I hope," and that it's against her beliefs. I told her that she would be wasting their money if their goal is to fix me. I honestly feel like my parents are trying to find a Christian counselor who does conversion therapy.

I completely understand where she is coming from, but it just hurts me. I really hope see comes around to it eventually and continues to love me unconditionally even though I am gay.

Any other advice?

---------- Post added 12th Dec 2016 at 05:00 PM ----------

oh, and I really, really, really want to tell my parents that if their goal is to make me straight and send me to conversion therapy (if this is their intention... which I can tell it is), then they will lose me as a child. I just cant deal with my parents trying to "fix" me. Again, I can understand where they are coming from, but I cant be changed. I just feel that if I tell them that now, it will make things worse than it already is (even though it's not that bad. They still love me, but they don't like the gay part of me.)