1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay in straight family/world

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jds, Dec 4, 2016.

1. jds

jds

I've been really trying to figure out things and working towards coming out. My mother has been trying to set me up with her friends daughters... but I keep telling her im not interested and I think she is starting to understand. I get the sense she would be supportive but my father is another story.

With the holidays coming there would be a lot of family gatherings and things like that. Although I dont plan on coming out till next year, it got me thinking about what it is like being the only gay person at family and other social events. No one has ever come out, or even been suspected of being gay in my family or extended family. I can only think of maybe 1 person most of my extended family have been exposed to. When that person brought his partner to dinner they even started to pull away from him, although subconsciously. So I know just being one of the first gay people they know will bring some awkwardness.

Putting that awkwardness aside, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for life as a gay person in a largely straight society. At these family events the guys will usually go to a room and watch sports, talk about work and drink, while the wives are in another helping with the cooking, and having their own discussions. I feel a little conflicted on what Im supposed to do because I don't quite fit in.

Sorry if it does not make sense but I appreciate any help :slight_smile:

2. Caecilian65

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting post and I understand it . I have been wondering about the same things. I have always been worried about what people and think and still shut myself off from social settings at times. I would say just go and do what your interested in? Or you can fein interest but I don't think that is healthy.

What do you at family gatherings now? Does it need to be any different? Hope you don't mind all the questions I just want to make sure I understand the situation properly if that makes sense?